Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: 1936 Photo - Fox's Gap

  • TR Livesey
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 6, 2002
      Group,

      This is a pretty cool photo. I was just kind of messing around and
      I geo-referenced it (brought it into an earth-based coordinate
      system) and drew a few images with it.

      The results can be found at

      http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/fox

      The photo is actually quite clear, and shows a lot more detail
      than the modern aerial views of Fox's Gap I have access to.
      Unfortunately, it only covers a tiny region.

      TR Livesey
      tlivesey@...
      http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam

      Ron Church wrote:

      > Bill,
      >
      > I'd be very interested to know what you find.
      >
      > You inquired about the source of the 1936 photo. Quite frankly I had
      > forgotten, so I had to search it out again. It is included in a very
      > interesting article written by Kurt Graham about Drayton's Brigade at Fox's
      > Gap. It's at
      > http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/PhillipsLegion/deathofabrigade.html
      >
      > Regards
      > Ron Church
      > Manchester MD

    • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 7, 2002
        TR Livesey wrote:

        > This is a pretty cool photo. I was just kind of messing around and
        > I geo-referenced it (brought it into an earth-based coordinate
        > system) and drew a few images with it.

        Todd,

        I believe that Wise's Field was smaller than the cleared field in 1936. According
        to the maps I studied at the National archives the field was about 75-80 yards by
        180-200 yards. The Northeast corner of the field would be very close to the
        northeast corner of the Reno Monument...the tiny square figure in the image. This
        is wear the old mountain road came out in 1862. Some wooden fence lines may be in
        1862 locations, but there is a good chance they were moved as the wood rotted and
        the field increased. I do have a survey showing some stone fences that probably
        did not move. These would be near the small rectangular field at the bottom of
        the large wooded area. The location of the 1862 cornfield on the south side of
        the Old Sharpsburg Road is a key location that we need to fix in location.

        The maps I looked at were two versions of what became a plate in the OR atlas.

        Bill Christen
      • TR Livesey
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 7, 2002
          Bill,

          I presume you mean the Reno Monument marks the northwest corner Wise's field?

          Do you have copies of these images you looked at in the NA? The OR
          version is so reduced there is no detail. I'm going to guess that
          1 of the maps you refer to is the Witzleben & von Kamecke Map of
          South Mountain, which is reproduced in McElfresh's "Maps and
          Mapmakers" book, p101. It also is so reduced as to be near useless.
          If we had a nice copy of 1 of these maps, we could superimpose it
          on the 1936 photo and modern maps.

          I have taken the 1936 photo and drawn a field of the approx. dimensions
          that you specify:80x190 yards. Does that line up with your expectations?

          http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/fox/fox6.jpg

          TRL

          Bill and Glenna Jo Christen wrote:

          > TR Livesey wrote:
          >
          > > This is a pretty cool photo. I was just kind of messing around and
          > > I geo-referenced it (brought it into an earth-based coordinate
          > > system) and drew a few images with it.
          >
          > Todd,
          >
          > I believe that Wise's Field was smaller than the cleared field in 1936. According
          > to the maps I studied at the National archives the field was about 75-80 yards by
          > 180-200 yards. The Northeast corner of the field would be very close to the
          > northeast corner of the Reno Monument...the tiny square figure in the image. This
          > is wear the old mountain road came out in 1862. Some wooden fence lines may be in
          > 1862 locations, but there is a good chance they were moved as the wood rotted and
          > the field increased. I do have a survey showing some stone fences that probably
          > did not move. These would be near the small rectangular field at the bottom of
          > the large wooded area. The location of the 1862 cornfield on the south side of
          > the Old Sharpsburg Road is a key location that we need to fix in location.
          >
          > The maps I looked at were two versions of what became a plate in the OR atlas.
          >
          > Bill Christen

        • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 7, 2002
            TR Livesey wrote:

            > I presume you mean the Reno Monument marks the northwest corner Wise's field?

            Todd,

            Yes, sorry for the confusion...up too late reading e-mails last night.

            > Do you have copies of these images you looked at in the NA?

            I have large-size photocopies of the maps which had annotations that I highlighted
            years ago. I will scan them, but it may have to wait until I get back from Antietam
            (leaving wednesday morning).

            > I'm going to guess that 1 of the maps you refer to is the Witzleben & von Kamecke Map
            > of
            > South Mountain, which is reproduced in McElfresh's "Maps and Mapmakers" book, p101.

            I do not have that book.

            > If we had a nice copy of 1 of these maps, we could superimpose it
            > on the 1936 photo and modern maps.

            It's curious in that both maps appear to have been made at the same time, but there are
            different annotations on each.

            > I have taken the 1936 photo and drawn a field of the approx. dimensions
            > that you specify:80x190 yards. Does that line up with your expectations?
            >
            > http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/fox/fox6.jpg

            Yes, but, we need to check the details...perhaps with Fred Wilder Cross' circa early
            1920s photographs of the field would help. I have a set of them. I will also send you a
            copy of the more modern survey when I get back.

            Bill