Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Reproduction of an 1861 Springfield Rifle

  • John Furey
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
      Hello my friend
      Have not conversed in a long time. Linda doing well - up in Maine with mom,
      daughter, and granddaughter, 4 gens.
      I have a few '61 and '63 Springfields and whats striking is the differance is
      the PC hammer itself. (I know nothing about the guns I just buy them). I have
      a '63 and a '63 type 2. All from the Powder Horn Gun Shop, Middleburg, Va.
      Lots of news to tell you (bought a Confederate Enfield), a hint. We must get
      together soon at ANB.
      Regards to Tom Shey, etc. at the 140th.
      John

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
        John;

        I will be at the 140th with the CS command staff. I am Signals
        now. If you are going to be there, stop by and give a holler!

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Pvt., CS Signals,
        Longstreet's Corps

        Edward Lee

        > Have not conversed in a long time. Linda doing well - up in
        Maine with mom,
        > daughter, and granddaughter, 4 gens.
        > I have a few '61 and '63 Springfields and whats striking is the
        differance is
        > the PC hammer itself. (I know nothing about the guns I just buy
        them). I have
        > a '63 and a '63 type 2. All from the Powder Horn Gun Shop,
        Middleburg, Va.
        > Lots of news to tell you (bought a Confederate Enfield), a
        hint. We must get
        > together soon at ANB.
        > Regards to Tom Shey, etc. at the 140th.
        > John
        >
        > NJ Rebel wrote:
        >
        > > Jamie,
        > >
        > > Euroarms and Armi Sport both make, IIRC, copies of the 1863
        > > version. However, some will say that Euroarms is the better
        > > reproduction.
        > >
        > > The distinct difference in the earlier versions and the 1863
        is
        > > the removal of the bolster screw in the bolster used to hold
        the
        > > percussion cap. If you will look at Echoes of Glory Union,
        you
        > > will easily see what I refer to.
        > >
        > > Almost any good sutler should have the late War version of
        the
        > > Springfield, which also had a Type 1 and a Type 2. My
        > > reproduction happens to be a Type 2.
        > >
        > > Hope this helps.
        > >
        > > Your humble servant,
        > > Gerry Mayers
        > > Pvt., CS Signals,
        > > Longstreet's Corps
        > >
        > > A Proud American by Birth, Southern by Choice!
        > >
        > > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
        field
        > > on which he has nobly laid down his life." --General
        Robert