Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Reproduction of an 1861 Springfield Rifle

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2002
      Jamie,

      Euroarms and Armi Sport both make, IIRC, copies of the 1863
      version. However, some will say that Euroarms is the better
      reproduction.

      The distinct difference in the earlier versions and the 1863 is
      the removal of the bolster screw in the bolster used to hold the
      percussion cap. If you will look at Echoes of Glory Union, you
      will easily see what I refer to.

      Almost any good sutler should have the late War version of the
      Springfield, which also had a Type 1 and a Type 2. My
      reproduction happens to be a Type 2.

      Hope this helps.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Pvt., CS Signals,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
        Hello my friend
        Have not conversed in a long time. Linda doing well - up in Maine with mom,
        daughter, and granddaughter, 4 gens.
        I have a few '61 and '63 Springfields and whats striking is the differance is
        the PC hammer itself. (I know nothing about the guns I just buy them). I have
        a '63 and a '63 type 2. All from the Powder Horn Gun Shop, Middleburg, Va.
        Lots of news to tell you (bought a Confederate Enfield), a hint. We must get
        together soon at ANB.
        Regards to Tom Shey, etc. at the 140th.
        John

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
          John;

          I will be at the 140th with the CS command staff. I am Signals
          now. If you are going to be there, stop by and give a holler!

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Pvt., CS Signals,
          Longstreet's Corps

          Edward Lee

          > Have not conversed in a long time. Linda doing well - up in
          Maine with mom,
          > daughter, and granddaughter, 4 gens.
          > I have a few '61 and '63 Springfields and whats striking is the
          differance is
          > the PC hammer itself. (I know nothing about the guns I just buy
          them). I have
          > a '63 and a '63 type 2. All from the Powder Horn Gun Shop,
          Middleburg, Va.
          > Lots of news to tell you (bought a Confederate Enfield), a
          hint. We must get
          > together soon at ANB.
          > Regards to Tom Shey, etc. at the 140th.
          > John
          >
          > NJ Rebel wrote:
          >
          > > Jamie,
          > >
          > > Euroarms and Armi Sport both make, IIRC, copies of the 1863
          > > version. However, some will say that Euroarms is the better
          > > reproduction.
          > >
          > > The distinct difference in the earlier versions and the 1863
          is
          > > the removal of the bolster screw in the bolster used to hold
          the
          > > percussion cap. If you will look at Echoes of Glory Union,
          you
          > > will easily see what I refer to.
          > >
          > > Almost any good sutler should have the late War version of
          the
          > > Springfield, which also had a Type 1 and a Type 2. My
          > > reproduction happens to be a Type 2.
          > >
          > > Hope this helps.
          > >
          > > Your humble servant,
          > > Gerry Mayers
          > > Pvt., CS Signals,
          > > Longstreet's Corps
          > >
          > > A Proud American by Birth, Southern by Choice!
          > >
          > > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
          field
          > > on which he has nobly laid down his life." --General
          Robert