Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Surviving Civil War Guns

  • Andy Mills
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
      Scott

      I do know if you look at the barrel of any gun at Gettysburg, it
      will give the year they were made, the weight of the barrel and I
      believe the location they were made. If you are saying they were
      there in the battle: that I can't comment on, but alot of the
      guns were produced during the battle. I have seen alot made in
      1864, which technically, they are Civil War guns, but not at the
      battle.

      Andy

      Andy,

      Thanks for posting this interesting link! On
      militaryhistoryonline.com, we have been discussing the
      authenticity of the guns at Gettysburg. Allegedly, many are the
      actual tubes used in the battle (perhaps a hundred or more), but
      all records have been lost. Only a couple can now be positively
      identified as being from the actual battle.

      Have any of the Antietam guns ever been positively ID'ed as being
      present in September of 1862 on the field? Of course the model
      1863 guns were not present, but some of the others were in
      existance at the time of the battle.

      Anyone know which (if any) guns were present?

      Scott

      ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------
      -~-->
      4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/GmiolB/TM

      Sent via the KillerWebMail system at innernet.net
    • John Furey
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2002
        Scott
        Took a tour with Tom Shey in '01 , on Sedgwicks movements, ani I remember him
        pointing out, only the trees that saw the battle.
        Got to talk to "the man",Tom Clemans or Paul Chiles (ANB Ranger) for that
        info.
        John
        Hey Tom !!! Linda and I are still planing to do the belated honeymoon at
        Pipers for a week and want to get together with you for dinner. Also, of
        course, get me up to the hill, to see with my own eyes if Hood could have
        gone fether. Also congrats on your doctorate. I just hope you will stay local
        and not join Bud and Bill Davis at Blacksberg.
        Did you know John Howard, lived 10 mins. from me in Carbondale, Pa. Again
        thank you for all you have done for the battlefield. My Grandson, soon to
        really understand, will know what really happened, on 9/17/62 thanks to you.
        You are a hero to America, prehaps more so, than the FDNY,NYPD,PANY, etc.
        It,s my opinion that you will be ranked with Harold B. Simpson. Now tell that
        to Peggy Fox down in Hillsboro. BTW, what do you think of the Liberals book
        on Antietam.
        aand