Re: Surviving Civil War Guns

  • scottmingus
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
      --- In TalkAntietam@y..., "Andy Mills" <kamills@i...> wrote:
      > Hello Guys
      >
      > I came across a web-site that lists surviving Civil War Guns. It
      > gives their location, both the battlefield, and location on the
      > battlefield. Of course, Gettysburg lists the most guns with 390.
      >
      > Here is the link:
      > http://cwartillery.org/ws-reg.html

      Andy,

      Thanks for posting this interesting link! On
      militaryhistoryonline.com, we have been discussing the authenticity
      of the guns at Gettysburg. Allegedly, many are the actual tubes used
      in the battle (perhaps a hundred or more), but all records have been
      lost. Only a couple can now be positively identified as being from
      the actual battle.

      Have any of the Antietam guns ever been positively ID'ed as being
      present in September of 1862 on the field? Of course the model 1863
      guns were not present, but some of the others were in existance at
      the time of the battle.

      Anyone know which (if any) guns were present?

      Scott
    • Andy Mills
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
        Scott

        I do know if you look at the barrel of any gun at Gettysburg, it
        will give the year they were made, the weight of the barrel and I
        believe the location they were made. If you are saying they were
        there in the battle: that I can't comment on, but alot of the
        guns were produced during the battle. I have seen alot made in
        1864, which technically, they are Civil War guns, but not at the
        battle.

        Andy

        Andy,

        Thanks for posting this interesting link! On
        militaryhistoryonline.com, we have been discussing the
        authenticity of the guns at Gettysburg. Allegedly, many are the
        actual tubes used in the battle (perhaps a hundred or more), but
        all records have been lost. Only a couple can now be positively
        identified as being from the actual battle.

        Have any of the Antietam guns ever been positively ID'ed as being
        present in September of 1862 on the field? Of course the model
        1863 guns were not present, but some of the others were in
        existance at the time of the battle.

        Anyone know which (if any) guns were present?

        Scott

        ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------
        -~-->
        4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/GmiolB/TM

        Sent via the KillerWebMail system at innernet.net
      • John Furey
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2002
          Scott
          Took a tour with Tom Shey in '01 , on Sedgwicks movements, ani I remember him
          pointing out, only the trees that saw the battle.
          Got to talk to "the man",Tom Clemans or Paul Chiles (ANB Ranger) for that
          info.
          John
          Hey Tom !!! Linda and I are still planing to do the belated honeymoon at
          Pipers for a week and want to get together with you for dinner. Also, of
          course, get me up to the hill, to see with my own eyes if Hood could have
          gone fether. Also congrats on your doctorate. I just hope you will stay local
          and not join Bud and Bill Davis at Blacksberg.
          Did you know John Howard, lived 10 mins. from me in Carbondale, Pa. Again
          thank you for all you have done for the battlefield. My Grandson, soon to
          really understand, will know what really happened, on 9/17/62 thanks to you.
          You are a hero to America, prehaps more so, than the FDNY,NYPD,PANY, etc.
          It,s my opinion that you will be ranked with Harold B. Simpson. Now tell that
          to Peggy Fox down in Hillsboro. BTW, what do you think of the Liberals book
          on Antietam.
          aand