Re: Reproduction of an 1861 Springfield Rifle

  • james2044
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2002
      When you say later model, that is the '63, which I really wanted but
      couldn't find. Who manfactured your rifle?

      James
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2002
        Jamie,

        Euroarms and Armi Sport both make, IIRC, copies of the 1863
        version. However, some will say that Euroarms is the better
        reproduction.

        The distinct difference in the earlier versions and the 1863 is
        the removal of the bolster screw in the bolster used to hold the
        percussion cap. If you will look at Echoes of Glory Union, you
        will easily see what I refer to.

        Almost any good sutler should have the late War version of the
        Springfield, which also had a Type 1 and a Type 2. My
        reproduction happens to be a Type 2.

        Hope this helps.

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Pvt., CS Signals,
        Longstreet's Corps

        Edward Lee

        Sponsor ---------------------~-->
        > 4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/GmiolB/TM
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • John Furey
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
          Hello my friend
          Have not conversed in a long time. Linda doing well - up in Maine with mom,
          daughter, and granddaughter, 4 gens.
          I have a few '61 and '63 Springfields and whats striking is the differance is
          the PC hammer itself. (I know nothing about the guns I just buy them). I have
          a '63 and a '63 type 2. All from the Powder Horn Gun Shop, Middleburg, Va.
          Lots of news to tell you (bought a Confederate Enfield), a hint. We must get
          together soon at ANB.
          Regards to Tom Shey, etc. at the 140th.
          John

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
            John;

            I will be at the 140th with the CS command staff. I am Signals
            now. If you are going to be there, stop by and give a holler!

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Pvt., CS Signals,
            Longstreet's Corps

            Edward Lee

            > Have not conversed in a long time. Linda doing well - up in
            Maine with mom,
            > daughter, and granddaughter, 4 gens.
            > I have a few '61 and '63 Springfields and whats striking is the
            differance is
            > the PC hammer itself. (I know nothing about the guns I just buy
            them). I have
            > a '63 and a '63 type 2. All from the Powder Horn Gun Shop,
            Middleburg, Va.
            > Lots of news to tell you (bought a Confederate Enfield), a
            hint. We must get
            > together soon at ANB.
            > Regards to Tom Shey, etc. at the 140th.
            > John
            >
            > NJ Rebel wrote:
            >
            > > Jamie,
            > >
            > > Euroarms and Armi Sport both make, IIRC, copies of the 1863
            > > version. However, some will say that Euroarms is the better
            > > reproduction.
            > >
            > > The distinct difference in the earlier versions and the 1863
            is
            > > the removal of the bolster screw in the bolster used to hold
            the
            > > percussion cap. If you will look at Echoes of Glory Union,
            you
            > > will easily see what I refer to.
            > >
            > > Almost any good sutler should have the late War version of
            the
            > > Springfield, which also had a Type 1 and a Type 2. My
            > > reproduction happens to be a Type 2.
            > >
            > > Hope this helps.
            > >
            > > Your humble servant,
            > > Gerry Mayers
            > > Pvt., CS Signals,
            > > Longstreet's Corps
            > >
            > > A Proud American by Birth, Southern by Choice!
            > >
            > > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
            field
            > > on which he has nobly laid down his life." --General
            Robert