Re: [TalkAntietam] Reproduction of an 1861 Springfield Rifle

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2002
      I have a later model of the Springfield and it shoots black
      powder fairly well. As for live firing, I have heard the rifling
      in the reproductions is not the same as with the originals.

      But you should be able to do some live firing as well, but again
      I have heard you might want to use a 40 or less grain load of FFF
      Goex powder, NOT Pyrodex.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Pvt., CS Signals,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2002
        When you say later model, that is the '63, which I really wanted but
        couldn't find. Who manfactured your rifle?

        James
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2002
          Jamie,

          Euroarms and Armi Sport both make, IIRC, copies of the 1863
          version. However, some will say that Euroarms is the better
          reproduction.

          The distinct difference in the earlier versions and the 1863 is
          the removal of the bolster screw in the bolster used to hold the
          percussion cap. If you will look at Echoes of Glory Union, you
          will easily see what I refer to.

          Almost any good sutler should have the late War version of the
          Springfield, which also had a Type 1 and a Type 2. My
          reproduction happens to be a Type 2.

          Hope this helps.

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Pvt., CS Signals,
          Longstreet's Corps

          Edward Lee

          Sponsor ---------------------~-->
          > 4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/GmiolB/TM
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • John Furey
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
            Hello my friend
            Have not conversed in a long time. Linda doing well - up in Maine with mom,
            daughter, and granddaughter, 4 gens.
            I have a few '61 and '63 Springfields and whats striking is the differance is
            the PC hammer itself. (I know nothing about the guns I just buy them). I have
            a '63 and a '63 type 2. All from the Powder Horn Gun Shop, Middleburg, Va.
            Lots of news to tell you (bought a Confederate Enfield), a hint. We must get
            together soon at ANB.
            Regards to Tom Shey, etc. at the 140th.
            John

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
              John;

              I will be at the 140th with the CS command staff. I am Signals
              now. If you are going to be there, stop by and give a holler!

              Your humble servant,
              Gerry Mayers
              Pvt., CS Signals,
              Longstreet's Corps

              Edward Lee

              > Have not conversed in a long time. Linda doing well - up in
              Maine with mom,
              > daughter, and granddaughter, 4 gens.
              > I have a few '61 and '63 Springfields and whats striking is the
              differance is
              > the PC hammer itself. (I know nothing about the guns I just buy
              them). I have
              > a '63 and a '63 type 2. All from the Powder Horn Gun Shop,
              Middleburg, Va.
              > Lots of news to tell you (bought a Confederate Enfield), a
              hint. We must get
              > together soon at ANB.
              > Regards to Tom Shey, etc. at the 140th.
              > John
              >
              > NJ Rebel wrote:
              >
              > > Jamie,
              > >
              > > Euroarms and Armi Sport both make, IIRC, copies of the 1863
              > > version. However, some will say that Euroarms is the better
              > > reproduction.
              > >
              > > The distinct difference in the earlier versions and the 1863
              is
              > > the removal of the bolster screw in the bolster used to hold
              the
              > > percussion cap. If you will look at Echoes of Glory Union,
              you
              > > will easily see what I refer to.
              > >
              > > Almost any good sutler should have the late War version of
              the
              > > Springfield, which also had a Type 1 and a Type 2. My
              > > reproduction happens to be a Type 2.
              > >
              > > Hope this helps.
              > >
              > > Your humble servant,
              > > Gerry Mayers
              > > Pvt., CS Signals,
              > > Longstreet's Corps
              > >
              > > A Proud American by Birth, Southern by Choice!
              > >
              > > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
              field
              > > on which he has nobly laid down his life." --General
              Robert