Reproduction of an 1861 Springfield Rifle

  • james2044
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2002
      I'm getting ready to but the above rifle and would like to poll the
      group on any ideas, experiences and/or porblems. The rifle will be
      for display more than shooting.

      Thanks
      James
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2002
        I have a later model of the Springfield and it shoots black
        powder fairly well. As for live firing, I have heard the rifling
        in the reproductions is not the same as with the originals.

        But you should be able to do some live firing as well, but again
        I have heard you might want to use a 40 or less grain load of FFF
        Goex powder, NOT Pyrodex.

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Pvt., CS Signals,
        Longstreet's Corps

        Edward Lee

        Sponsor ---------------------~-->
        > 4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/GmiolB/TM
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • james2044
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2002
          When you say later model, that is the '63, which I really wanted but
          couldn't find. Who manfactured your rifle?

          James
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 2002
            Jamie,

            Euroarms and Armi Sport both make, IIRC, copies of the 1863
            version. However, some will say that Euroarms is the better
            reproduction.

            The distinct difference in the earlier versions and the 1863 is
            the removal of the bolster screw in the bolster used to hold the
            percussion cap. If you will look at Echoes of Glory Union, you
            will easily see what I refer to.

            Almost any good sutler should have the late War version of the
            Springfield, which also had a Type 1 and a Type 2. My
            reproduction happens to be a Type 2.

            Hope this helps.

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Pvt., CS Signals,
            Longstreet's Corps

            Edward Lee

            Sponsor ---------------------~-->
            > 4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/GmiolB/TM
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • John Furey
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
              Hello my friend
              Have not conversed in a long time. Linda doing well - up in Maine with mom,
              daughter, and granddaughter, 4 gens.
              I have a few '61 and '63 Springfields and whats striking is the differance is
              the PC hammer itself. (I know nothing about the guns I just buy them). I have
              a '63 and a '63 type 2. All from the Powder Horn Gun Shop, Middleburg, Va.
              Lots of news to tell you (bought a Confederate Enfield), a hint. We must get
              together soon at ANB.
              Regards to Tom Shey, etc. at the 140th.
              John

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
                John;

                I will be at the 140th with the CS command staff. I am Signals
                now. If you are going to be there, stop by and give a holler!

                Your humble servant,
                Gerry Mayers
                Pvt., CS Signals,
                Longstreet's Corps

                Edward Lee

                > Have not conversed in a long time. Linda doing well - up in
                Maine with mom,
                > daughter, and granddaughter, 4 gens.
                > I have a few '61 and '63 Springfields and whats striking is the
                differance is
                > the PC hammer itself. (I know nothing about the guns I just buy
                them). I have
                > a '63 and a '63 type 2. All from the Powder Horn Gun Shop,
                Middleburg, Va.
                > Lots of news to tell you (bought a Confederate Enfield), a
                hint. We must get
                > together soon at ANB.
                > Regards to Tom Shey, etc. at the 140th.
                > John
                >
                > NJ Rebel wrote:
                >
                > > Jamie,
                > >
                > > Euroarms and Armi Sport both make, IIRC, copies of the 1863
                > > version. However, some will say that Euroarms is the better
                > > reproduction.
                > >
                > > The distinct difference in the earlier versions and the 1863
                is
                > > the removal of the bolster screw in the bolster used to hold
                the
                > > percussion cap. If you will look at Echoes of Glory Union,
                you
                > > will easily see what I refer to.
                > >
                > > Almost any good sutler should have the late War version of
                the
                > > Springfield, which also had a Type 1 and a Type 2. My
                > > reproduction happens to be a Type 2.
                > >
                > > Hope this helps.
                > >
                > > Your humble servant,
                > > Gerry Mayers
                > > Pvt., CS Signals,
                > > Longstreet's Corps
                > >
                > > A Proud American by Birth, Southern by Choice!
                > >
                > > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
                field
                > > on which he has nobly laid down his life." --General
                Robert