Re: [TalkAntietam] Crampton's Gap

  • John Priest
    Message 1 of 17 , May 7, 2001
      Harry, That is what I called the Harper's Ferry Road and to my recollection it is no longer there.

      Mike
      Message 2 of 17 , May 8, 2001
        In a message dated 5/8/01 11:12:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        priesjoh@... writes:

        Harry, That is what I called the Harper's Ferry Road and to my recollection
        it is no longer there.

        Mike

        Thanks, Mike.

        Harry
      • John Priest
        Message 3 of 17 , May 8, 2001
          Harry,

          They seem to be the same roads but in my book it is the Harpers Ferry Road.  It is no longer in existence as far as I know.

          Mike
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 22, 2008
            Gang,

            Who notified Lee of the capture by the US IV Corps of Crampton's
            Gap? Was it Stuart? McLaws? Cobb? Who?

          • RoteBaron
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 23, 2008
              It was Thomas Munford.
              See "Taken At The Flood" (bottom of page 291).

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 23, 2008
                Tom;
                Thanks! Did Munford directly carry that news to Lee or by
                courier?

                > See "Taken At The Flood" (bottom of page 291).
                >
                > Tom Shay

              • RoteBaron
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 23, 2008
                  Joe Harsh (TATF pg 291) states that Munford "had made his way to
                  Rohrersville, a hamlet seven miles south of Boonsboro, and there sent a
                  dispatch to Lee depicting the results as he knew them."

                • colliszouave@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
                    Which unit captured the "Jennie?" 4th VT? 95th PA?

                    Respectfully,

                    Mike Peters
                  • Thomas G. Clemens
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
                      4th or 2nd VT, can't remember off-hand. Captured at bottom of the slope.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
                        Was "the Jennie" a cannon?

                      • troyacool@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
                          According to Tim Reese's, "Sealed With Their Lives" pg 165-166 it was the 2nd VT's picket's who finally claimed it, but it had been overrun by the 95th PA who then retired leaving the gun on the road.

                          From: "Thomas G. Clemens" <tgclemens@...>
                          Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 20:29:43
                          To: 'TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com'<TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>

                          4th or 2nd VT, can't remember off-hand. Captured at bottom of the slope.

                          Which unit captured the "Jennie?" 4th VT? 95th PA?

                          Respectfully,

                          Mike Peters

                        • Michael Peters
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
                            Tom et al,

                            G. Norton Galloway, 95th PA Infantry, wrote the following re: his unit's action
                            at Crampton's Gap:

                            "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
                            painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
                            presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
                            caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
                            with its division to Antietam."

                            Mike Peters

                          • Teej Smith
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
                              Mike Peters wrote:

                              Tom et al,
                              "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
                              painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
                              presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
                              caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
                              with its division to Antietam."

                              From the Cobb's Legion website: "The gun that was lost at Crampton's Gap had been given the name "Jennie." The newspapers had a field day touting the capture of "Jennie." We believe that Jennie possibly was named for the sweetheart of Tom Barrow, Miss Jennie Turner, who became his wife after the war."

                              Regards,
                              Teej

                              .

                            • colliszouave@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
                                Teej,

                                And then there was the Sally Craig .....

                                Mike Peters

                                From: "Teej Smith" <teej@...>
                                Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
                                Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 19:13:15
                                To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>

                                Mike Peters wrote:

                                Tom et al,
                                "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
                                painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
                                presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
                                caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
                                with its division to Antietam."

                                From the Cobb's Legion website: "The gun that was lost at Crampton's Gap had been given the name "Jennie." The newspapers had a field day touting the capture of "Jennie." We believe that Jennie possibly was named for the sweetheart of Tom Barrow, Miss Jennie Turner, who became his wife after the war."

                                Regards,
                                Teej

                                .

                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 23, 2010
                                  Thanks to all who responded to my "Jennie" query.

                                  Respectfully,

                                  Mike Peters