Re: [TalkAntietam] Wise's well

  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
      Ron Church wrote:

      > I will also be up there in the coming weeks. My schedule is fairly
      > flexible, and I'd be glad to meet there to say hello and maybe look around a
      > little if you like.

      I may be at Fox's Gap on Thursday afternoon, 12 September, between 2 and 3 p.m.

      I think one of the keys to locating the well is determining how far the south
      part of the mountain road was moved. Note that in the photograph of Wise's house
      that we mentioned last week. There is a distinct right-angle jog in the road
      bringing it closer to the house. The road originally was closer to the corner of
      the Reno Monument. If the jog is removed, the theoretical extension would come
      close to the original alignment.

      Bill
    • Ron Church
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
        Bill,

        I have noticed the road alignment question you point out. For that reason I
        don't put much faith in current day measurements taken from that point. I
        will be taking some measurements up there very soon and for point of
        reference will use the intersection on the north side of Reno Monument Road.
        This road seems to have remained in it's same location throughout and should
        be reliable. Once I establish a reliable base I will do a to-scale study of
        the 1936 photo. It could still reveal some interesting information.

        I will try to meet you there on the 12th.

        Ron Church
        Manchester MD