Re: [TalkAntietam] Wise's well

  • Ron Church
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
      Bill,

      I also put no stock in the "profit" story and Farmer Wise, in fact I do not
      mention it. I think also that the bodies were dumped there as a matter of
      convenience by Union soldiers whose services were rapidly becoming too
      important for them to be spending valuable time on burial details.

      I will also be up there in the coming weeks. My schedule is fairly
      flexible, and I'd be glad to meet there to say hello and maybe look around a
      little if you like.

      Ron Church
      Manchester MD

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
        Ron Church wrote:

        > I will also be up there in the coming weeks. My schedule is fairly
        > flexible, and I'd be glad to meet there to say hello and maybe look around a
        > little if you like.

        I may be at Fox's Gap on Thursday afternoon, 12 September, between 2 and 3 p.m.

        I think one of the keys to locating the well is determining how far the south
        part of the mountain road was moved. Note that in the photograph of Wise's house
        that we mentioned last week. There is a distinct right-angle jog in the road
        bringing it closer to the house. The road originally was closer to the corner of
        the Reno Monument. If the jog is removed, the theoretical extension would come
        close to the original alignment.

        Bill
      • Ron Church
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
          Bill,

          I have noticed the road alignment question you point out. For that reason I
          don't put much faith in current day measurements taken from that point. I
          will be taking some measurements up there very soon and for point of
          reference will use the intersection on the north side of Reno Monument Road.
          This road seems to have remained in it's same location throughout and should
          be reliable. Once I establish a reliable base I will do a to-scale study of
          the 1936 photo. It could still reveal some interesting information.

          I will try to meet you there on the 12th.

          Ron Church
          Manchester MD