Antietam Photographs

  • David Lutton
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2002
      In the recent issue of Blue and Gray magazine there is a article concerning
      the Battle of Corinth by Stacey Allen NPS historian at Shiloh. A photograph
      included with the article shows confederate dead gathered together (for
      burial purposes?) taken on the battlefield just a day or so after the
      action. What I found interesting was one of the dead was identified as a
      Col. Rogers of the 2nd Texas.

      I don't recall any of the photos taken after the battle of Antietam showing
      any identifiable dead on the field. Am I correct? I am only familiar with
      Frassanito's work. In fact, I don't recall seeing any other photograph
      showing an identifiable battlefield casualty. I have email the author of
      the article to find out what was the documentation for this very interesting
      photo.

      David Lutton
      Hollidaysburg Pa
    • Curt Johnson
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2002
        David,
        The corpse in the foreground of Frassanito's photograph IV-2 is conjectured to be Col. C. C. Tew of the 2d N.C., but I cannot off-hand recall the source for the speculation.
        Curt Johnson