Re: [TalkAntietam] Crampton's Gap

  • John Priest
    Message 1 of 17 , May 7, 2001
      Harry, That is what I called the Harper's Ferry Road and to my recollection it is no longer there.

      Mike
      Message 2 of 17 , May 7, 2001

        Mike,

        I think this would correlate to your map # 61 on page 275, and Tim's map on
        page 55 of his book.  The

        Sorry, hit the button before I finished.  The quote I was referring to was
        that of Boyer, on page 56 of Tim's book and page 277 of yours.

        Harry
      • hjs21@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , May 8, 2001
          In a message dated 5/8/01 11:12:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          priesjoh@... writes:

          Harry, That is what I called the Harper's Ferry Road and to my recollection
          it is no longer there.

          Mike

          Thanks, Mike.

          Harry
        • John Priest
          Message 4 of 17 , May 8, 2001
            Harry,

            They seem to be the same roads but in my book it is the Harpers Ferry Road.  It is no longer in existence as far as I know.

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 22 9:03 PM
              Gang,

              Who notified Lee of the capture by the US IV Corps of Crampton's
              Gap? Was it Stuart? McLaws? Cobb? Who?

            • RoteBaron
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 23 4:27 PM
                It was Thomas Munford.
                See "Taken At The Flood" (bottom of page 291).

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 23 4:38 PM
                  Tom;
                  Thanks! Did Munford directly carry that news to Lee or by
                  courier?

                  > See "Taken At The Flood" (bottom of page 291).
                  >
                  > Tom Shay

                • RoteBaron
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 23 5:13 PM
                    Joe Harsh (TATF pg 291) states that Munford "had made his way to
                    Rohrersville, a hamlet seven miles south of Boonsboro, and there sent a
                    dispatch to Lee depicting the results as he knew them."

                  • colliszouave@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 22 1:25 PM
                      Which unit captured the "Jennie?" 4th VT? 95th PA?

                      Respectfully,

                      Mike Peters
                    • Thomas G. Clemens
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 22 1:29 PM
                        4th or 2nd VT, can't remember off-hand. Captured at bottom of the slope.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 22 1:33 PM
                          Was "the Jennie" a cannon?

                        • troyacool@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 22 1:37 PM
                            According to Tim Reese's, "Sealed With Their Lives" pg 165-166 it was the 2nd VT's picket's who finally claimed it, but it had been overrun by the 95th PA who then retired leaving the gun on the road.

                            From: "Thomas G. Clemens" <tgclemens@...>
                            Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 20:29:43
                            To: 'TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com'<TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>

                            4th or 2nd VT, can't remember off-hand. Captured at bottom of the slope.

                            Which unit captured the "Jennie?" 4th VT? 95th PA?

                            Respectfully,

                            Mike Peters

                          • Michael Peters
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 22 3:51 PM
                              Tom et al,

                              G. Norton Galloway, 95th PA Infantry, wrote the following re: his unit's action
                              at Crampton's Gap:

                              "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
                              painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
                              presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
                              caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
                              with its division to Antietam."

                              Mike Peters

                            • Teej Smith
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 22 4:13 PM
                                Mike Peters wrote:

                                Tom et al,
                                "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
                                painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
                                presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
                                caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
                                with its division to Antietam."

                                From the Cobb's Legion website: "The gun that was lost at Crampton's Gap had been given the name "Jennie." The newspapers had a field day touting the capture of "Jennie." We believe that Jennie possibly was named for the sweetheart of Tom Barrow, Miss Jennie Turner, who became his wife after the war."

                                Regards,
                                Teej

                                .

                              • colliszouave@yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 22 4:19 PM
                                  Teej,

                                  And then there was the Sally Craig .....

                                  Mike Peters

                                  From: "Teej Smith" <teej@...>
                                  Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
                                  Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 19:13:15
                                  To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>

                                  Mike Peters wrote:

                                  Tom et al,
                                  "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
                                  painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
                                  presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
                                  caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
                                  with its division to Antietam."

                                  From the Cobb's Legion website: "The gun that was lost at Crampton's Gap had been given the name "Jennie." The newspapers had a field day touting the capture of "Jennie." We believe that Jennie possibly was named for the sweetheart of Tom Barrow, Miss Jennie Turner, who became his wife after the war."

                                  Regards,
                                  Teej

                                  .

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 23 8:39 AM
                                    Thanks to all who responded to my "Jennie" query.

                                    Respectfully,

                                    Mike Peters