Wise's well

  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 30, 2002
      Ron,

      After reviewing my notes I have come to the conclusion that the story of Wise
      putting the bodies in the well for profit is myth. I believe that someone
      tossed the bodies into the well while Wise was gone during the day of battle
      and for a few days afterward. Neither Wise, nor any veterans mentioned Wise
      placing the bodies in the well in any writings through 1895. I believe it was
      early twentieth-century tour guides who came up with the story. There were
      hundreds of bodies to be buried. Also, why would a person contaminate a
      perfectly good well?...especially in that rocky piece of land.

      I assume the Steve S. and the folks looking for the well are locating based on
      the location of the cabin, not the mountain lane...which apparently was moved
      before 1892.

      I will be stopping at the site in a few weeks.

      Bill
    • Ron Church
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
        Bill,

        I also put no stock in the "profit" story and Farmer Wise, in fact I do not
        mention it. I think also that the bodies were dumped there as a matter of
        convenience by Union soldiers whose services were rapidly becoming too
        important for them to be spending valuable time on burial details.

        I will also be up there in the coming weeks. My schedule is fairly
        flexible, and I'd be glad to meet there to say hello and maybe look around a
        little if you like.

        Ron Church
        Manchester MD

        > After reviewing my notes I have come to the conclusion that the story of
        Wise
        > putting the bodies in the well for profit is myth. I believe that someone
        > tossed the bodies into the well while Wise was gone during the day of
        battle
        > and for a few days afterward. Neither Wise, nor any veterans mentioned
        Wise
        > placing the bodies in the well in any writings through 1895. I believe it
        was
        > early twentieth-century tour guides who came up with the story. There were
        > hundreds of bodies to be buried. Also, why would a person contaminate a
        > perfectly good well?...especially in that rocky piece of land.
        >
        > I assume the Steve S. and the folks looking for the well are locating
        based on
        > the location of the cabin, not the mountain lane...which apparently was
        moved
        > before 1892.
        >
        > I will be stopping at the site in a few weeks.
        >
        > Bill

      • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
          Ron Church wrote:

          > I will also be up there in the coming weeks. My schedule is fairly
          > flexible, and I'd be glad to meet there to say hello and maybe look around a
          > little if you like.

          I may be at Fox's Gap on Thursday afternoon, 12 September, between 2 and 3 p.m.

          I think one of the keys to locating the well is determining how far the south
          part of the mountain road was moved. Note that in the photograph of Wise's house
          that we mentioned last week. There is a distinct right-angle jog in the road
          bringing it closer to the house. The road originally was closer to the corner of
          the Reno Monument. If the jog is removed, the theoretical extension would come
          close to the original alignment.

          Bill
        • Ron Church
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
            Bill,

            I have noticed the road alignment question you point out. For that reason I
            don't put much faith in current day measurements taken from that point. I
            will be taking some measurements up there very soon and for point of
            reference will use the intersection on the north side of Reno Monument Road.
            This road seems to have remained in it's same location throughout and should
            be reliable. Once I establish a reliable base I will do a to-scale study of
            the 1936 photo. It could still reveal some interesting information.

            I will try to meet you there on the 12th.

            Ron Church
            Manchester MD