Re: [TalkAntietam] Off Topic

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2002
      In a message dated 8/30/02 10:57:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      photoray@... writes:
      > This is off topic but how in the world did Penn State get rated in the top
      > 25 in college football?

      This question was obviously posed by a misguided Boiler Maker!

      To get back on topic, Ray, I received your check today. Any comment yet on
      the Antietam Magazine? The article on the Rebel homefront's opinion of the
      battle is pretty good. Many in the South saw Antietam as part of a dazzling
      summer campaign by R.E. Lee, which included Seven Days, 2nd Manassas, Harpers
      Ferry, and Shepherdstown. Lee remaining on the field on Sept 18 and Mac's
      failure to cross the Potomac after the battle in pursuit of Lee only gave
      the Reb public more reason to believe they hadn't been defeated.

    • Ray Ortensie
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31, 2002
        HA! Misguided Boilermaker? Only when it comes to our men's basketball
        team. I have no clue where he recruits those guys at!

        No, I have not had time to read the Antietam mag yet. Have a paper due next
        week on Slavery in Muslim Africa and have been devoting a lot of time to
        that. Plus I am trying to finish up an article on religion within the 2nd
        Corps, Army of Northern Virginia, during the winter of 1862-1863 to have
        submitted for publication. Along with those two things I have been trying
        to find a job. I'm on my ninth week of being laid off and just trying to
        find something that I can do till I can find the right job. Thanks for
        sending the article.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 2002
          Tom;

          Could you send me a copy of that article as well? Or, if you are
          going to be at Sharpsburg in September for the anniversary, look
          me up at the Confederate command HQ area... just ask for Signal
          Corps Longstreet and you will probably be able to find me.

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Pvt., CS Signals,
          Longstreet's Corps

          Edward Lee

          Sponsor ---------------------~-->
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31, 2002
            In a message dated 8/31/02 11:11:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            gerry1952@... writes:
            > Could you send me a copy of that article as well? Or, if you are going to be
            > at Sharpsburg in September for the anniversary, look me up at the
            > Confederate command HQ area.

            Gerry,

            I plan to attend the event on Friday (Bill's talk on 17th MICH, Fox's Gap
            re-enactment, etc). On Saturday, I plan to join NPS Rangers for all the hikes
            at the park (two weeks from today!) .

            Regarding the article, I just finished it last night and noted it's taken
            from Gallagher's Antietam essays book (which I am guessing you have). If not,
            I can bring you a copy.