Re: [TalkAntietam] War Gaming the Civil War

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30 7:54 PM
      In a message dated 8/30/02 4:54:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      James2044@... writes: Board Games; SPI did a series of games starting
      with Terrible Swift Sword, TSS. > Avalon Hill has done several games. AH's
      > Gettysburg, 1956 version, was my 1st Civil War game. eBay is the only
      > source of these games I know

      James,

      I've been a fan of Civil War boardgames (wargames) for many years. There are
      plenty of new ones being published. Dave Powell is perhaps the best designer
      of these type games. He had been affiliated with The Gamers, which was bought
      by <A HREF="MultimanPublishing.com">Multimanpublishing</A> . Their products include 3 games at brigade-level on
      the Peninsula Campaign, brigade-level games on Antietam, Gettysburg,
      Champion's Hill, and many others. Their regimental level games are on
      Gettysburg, Chickamauga, and ones upcoming on Shiloh and both Manassas
      batttles. Also <A HREF="http://www.gmtgames.com">GMT</A> Games has produced games on Gettysburg, Chickamauga, etc.

      Some of the games are no longer offered by the publisher and only found on
      Ebay, etc. Todd Davis has a nice <A HREF="http://www.coolstuffunlimited.net/">website</A> that offers many wargames at super
      discounts.

      I own computer games on Antietam and Gettysburg (made by Sid Meiers).

      Of course there are also Miniatures. Fortunately we have an expert as a
      member of this group (Scott Mingus). Any more questions...ask away!

    • james2044
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2002
        I own computer games on Antietam and Gettysburg (made by Sid Meiers).

        I've looked at those games and not to take away from Sid, if I could,
        I don't think much of them as historical simulations. Look into the
        tanlosoft games on Antietam & Gettysburg. They are turn based, and
        have a good historical feel.

        Give John Tiller's games a try, he has a ring on the net and has done
        an outstanding job in this area.

        For the rest of you, this can be a very interesting hobby and PC
        gaming takes up no room.