Ring may hold key to identity of Monitor sailor

  • Andy Mills
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2002
      NORFOLK, Virginia, (AP) -- Excavators recovered a hand still
      wearing a ring Wednesday from the gun turret of the Civil War
      ironclad USS Monitor, and hoped the jewelry could identify one of
      the soldiers who died when the ship sank 140 years ago.

      "We're hoping that there might be an inscription" on the ring,
      said John Broadwater, chief scientist of the Monitor salvage
      effort. He said the plain band could be a wedding ring, although
      it was on the fourth finger of the right hand, not the left where
      wedding bands are traditionally worn.

      But he said an engraving or message "would be one of the strongest
      links we would have for identification."

      Rest of the article:
      http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/08/28/monitor.excavation.ap/index.html