Crampton's Gap

  • hjs21@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , May 7, 2001
      Anyone:

      I am reading Tim Reese's "Sealed With Their Lives," the action at Crampton's
      Gap.  I'm a little confused regarding the position of the 96th PA.  Reese
      states that most of the regiment left the Burkittsville Rd by a side road he
      describes as Distillery Lane.  In Mike Priest's book, I believe this road is
      labels as the Hagerstown Rd.  A passage used by both authors describes the
      regiment coming under fire from guns at Brown's Gap, saying that the
      Hagerstown Rd. appeared to be the "dead line."  My question: are Distellery
      Lane and the Hagerstown Rd one in the same?  Also, Reese notes that
      Distillery Lane is no longer open.  Is it still there?

      Harry
    • John Priest
      Message 2 of 17 , May 7, 2001
        Harry, That is what I called the Harper's Ferry Road and to my recollection it is no longer there.

        Mike
        Message 3 of 17 , May 7, 2001

          Mike,

          I think this would correlate to your map # 61 on page 275, and Tim's map on
          page 55 of his book.  The

          Sorry, hit the button before I finished.  The quote I was referring to was
          that of Boyer, on page 56 of Tim's book and page 277 of yours.

          Harry
        • hjs21@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , May 8, 2001
            In a message dated 5/8/01 11:12:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            priesjoh@... writes:

            Harry, That is what I called the Harper's Ferry Road and to my recollection
            it is no longer there.

            Mike

            Thanks, Mike.

            Harry
          • John Priest
            Message 5 of 17 , May 8, 2001
              Harry,

              They seem to be the same roads but in my book it is the Harpers Ferry Road.  It is no longer in existence as far as I know.

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 22, 2008
                Gang,

                Who notified Lee of the capture by the US IV Corps of Crampton's
                Gap? Was it Stuart? McLaws? Cobb? Who?

              • RoteBaron
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 23, 2008
                  It was Thomas Munford.
                  See "Taken At The Flood" (bottom of page 291).

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 23, 2008
                    Tom;
                    Thanks! Did Munford directly carry that news to Lee or by
                    courier?

                    > See "Taken At The Flood" (bottom of page 291).
                    >
                    > Tom Shay

                  • RoteBaron
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 23, 2008
                      Joe Harsh (TATF pg 291) states that Munford "had made his way to
                      Rohrersville, a hamlet seven miles south of Boonsboro, and there sent a
                      dispatch to Lee depicting the results as he knew them."

                    • colliszouave@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
                        Which unit captured the "Jennie?" 4th VT? 95th PA?

                        Respectfully,

                        Mike Peters
                      • Thomas G. Clemens
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
                          4th or 2nd VT, can't remember off-hand. Captured at bottom of the slope.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
                            Was "the Jennie" a cannon?

                          • troyacool@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
                              According to Tim Reese's, "Sealed With Their Lives" pg 165-166 it was the 2nd VT's picket's who finally claimed it, but it had been overrun by the 95th PA who then retired leaving the gun on the road.

                              From: "Thomas G. Clemens" <tgclemens@...>
                              Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 20:29:43
                              To: 'TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com'<TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>

                              4th or 2nd VT, can't remember off-hand. Captured at bottom of the slope.

                              Which unit captured the "Jennie?" 4th VT? 95th PA?

                              Respectfully,

                              Mike Peters

                            • Michael Peters
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
                                Tom et al,

                                G. Norton Galloway, 95th PA Infantry, wrote the following re: his unit's action
                                at Crampton's Gap:

                                "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
                                painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
                                presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
                                caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
                                with its division to Antietam."

                                Mike Peters

                              • Teej Smith
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
                                  Mike Peters wrote:

                                  Tom et al,
                                  "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
                                  painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
                                  presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
                                  caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
                                  with its division to Antietam."

                                  From the Cobb's Legion website: "The gun that was lost at Crampton's Gap had been given the name "Jennie." The newspapers had a field day touting the capture of "Jennie." We believe that Jennie possibly was named for the sweetheart of Tom Barrow, Miss Jennie Turner, who became his wife after the war."

                                  Regards,
                                  Teej

                                  .

                                • colliszouave@yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
                                    Teej,

                                    And then there was the Sally Craig .....

                                    Mike Peters

                                    From: "Teej Smith" <teej@...>
                                    Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
                                    Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 19:13:15
                                    To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>

                                    Mike Peters wrote:

                                    Tom et al,
                                    "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
                                    painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
                                    presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
                                    caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
                                    with its division to Antietam."

                                    From the Cobb's Legion website: "The gun that was lost at Crampton's Gap had been given the name "Jennie." The newspapers had a field day touting the capture of "Jennie." We believe that Jennie possibly was named for the sweetheart of Tom Barrow, Miss Jennie Turner, who became his wife after the war."

                                    Regards,
                                    Teej

                                    .

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 23, 2010
                                      Thanks to all who responded to my "Jennie" query.

                                      Respectfully,

                                      Mike Peters