OT: 1941 Japanese sub found at Pearl Harbor

  • Andy Mills
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29 5:08 AM
      Hello Guys

      I hope you don't mind this Off-Topic post, but it is historical in
      nature, and I thought some of you might be WWII fans and would
      find this interesting.

      HONOLULU, Hawaii (AP) -- U.S. researchers say they have found a
      Japanese midget submarine sunk more than an hour before the aerial
      attack on Pearl Harbor that brought America into World War II.

      Discovery of the 78-foot (24-meter) vessel could provide the first
      physical evidence to back U.S. military assertions that it fired
      first against Japan and inflicted the first casualties.

      The sub was sunk by a Navy destroyer on December 7, 1941. The
      remains of two Japanese crewmen are believed to be still inside
      the submarine.

      "It's the shot that started World War II between the Americans and
      the Japanese," said John Wiltshire, associate director of the
      Hawaii Undersea Research Laboratory, which found the sub.

      Rest of the article:
      http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/08/28/pearl.harbor.sub.ap/index.html