Re: Farmer Wise's Well

  • Ron Church
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 28, 2002
      Bill

      That is a very good photo, thank you for pointing it out.
      The lattice you note appears to contain a plant of some sort, so I don't
      think it's anything more than that. Based on my discussion with the fellow
      whose name I can't remember, the location of the well is a little farther to
      the right. In fact if you project the right edge of the house downward
      there is a dark spot between the fence and the road. The dark spot is also
      about 60' or so from the intersection (where the buggy is standing) and is
      almost precisely where he indicated the well was located. I believe the
      dark spot is the top of the well. The fact that it is outside the fence I
      don't think is important because the well had gone dry. It is interesting
      also that the type of fence pickets changes at about the dark spot. The
      ones to the right appear to be older. To hazard a reason for the change of
      pickets at that location would be purely speculative, but IMHO it might
      possibly have something to do with access from the house to the dark spot
      (the well) at some previous point in time, perhaps before the well went dry.

      Regards
      Ron Church
      Manchester Md

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 28, 2002
        Ron Church wrote:

        > That is a very good photo, thank you for pointing it out.
        > The lattice you note appears to contain a plant of some sort, so I don't
        > think it's anything more than that.

        Ron,

        I spent the day digging through my South Mountain files. I discovered some other
        photographs and a study that suggested that the well was at the other end of the
        house...about twenty-five or thirty feet west of the of lattice...which itself
        may actually may the entrance gate. This is same spot as you describe.

        I will take another look at the photos to check the fence construction.

        Bill