Re: [TalkAntietam] Farmer Wise's Well

  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 27 6:26 AM
      "Rawlings, Kevin" wrote:

      > The old well was not paved over but the top four feet of the well was
      > removed and became part of the embankment to the old Wise's house site on
      > the south side of the road.

      Kevin,

      That was what I thought from time of my first visits to the site in 1984. I will
      be checking my maps and photographs this week in preparation for my talk at the
      event. Perhaps something else will come up. I know Doug Bas (sp?) had hidden
      away some postcards and other images of Wise's Farm. I saw then once long ago in
      his little museum in the furniture store.

      Bill Christen
    • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 27 11:27 PM
        Folks,

        I checked my Fred Gross photograph collection and the image of Wise's yard (ca.
        1922) does not show the well, or rather I cannot make it out. Another image of
        Wise's house that appears to have been taken from a spot behind (north) of the
        present 17th Michigan marker position (before the Reno monument was erected)
        shows the house and a latice-like structure that might be over the well. This
        image can be found on page 50 of the Time-Life book, _The Bloodiest Day_.

        I have some other Fred Gross photographs to check tomorrow.

        Bill Christen
      • Ron Church
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 28 3:29 PM
          Bill

          That is a very good photo, thank you for pointing it out.
          The lattice you note appears to contain a plant of some sort, so I don't
          think it's anything more than that. Based on my discussion with the fellow
          whose name I can't remember, the location of the well is a little farther to
          the right. In fact if you project the right edge of the house downward
          there is a dark spot between the fence and the road. The dark spot is also
          about 60' or so from the intersection (where the buggy is standing) and is
          almost precisely where he indicated the well was located. I believe the
          dark spot is the top of the well. The fact that it is outside the fence I
          don't think is important because the well had gone dry. It is interesting
          also that the type of fence pickets changes at about the dark spot. The
          ones to the right appear to be older. To hazard a reason for the change of
          pickets at that location would be purely speculative, but IMHO it might
          possibly have something to do with access from the house to the dark spot
          (the well) at some previous point in time, perhaps before the well went dry.

          Regards
          Ron Church
          Manchester Md

          > I checked my Fred Gross photograph collection and the image of Wise's yard
          (ca.
          > 1922) does not show the well, or rather I cannot make it out. Another
          image of
          > Wise's house that appears to have been taken from a spot behind (north) of
          the
          > present 17th Michigan marker position (before the Reno monument was
          erected)
          > shows the house and a latice-like structure that might be over the well.
          This
          > image can be found on page 50 of the Time-Life book, _The Bloodiest Day_.
          >
          > I have some other Fred Gross photographs to check tomorrow.
          >
          > Bill Christen

        • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 28 7:07 PM
            Ron Church wrote:

            > That is a very good photo, thank you for pointing it out.
            > The lattice you note appears to contain a plant of some sort, so I don't
            > think it's anything more than that.

            Ron,

            I spent the day digging through my South Mountain files. I discovered some other
            photographs and a study that suggested that the well was at the other end of the
            house...about twenty-five or thirty feet west of the of lattice...which itself
            may actually may the entrance gate. This is same spot as you describe.

            I will take another look at the photos to check the fence construction.

            Bill