RE: [TalkAntietam] Farmer Wise's Well

  • Rawlings, Kevin
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 27, 2002
      Ron and Bill,
      The old well was not paved over but the top four feet of the well was
      removed and became part of the embankment to the old Wise's house site on
      the south side of the road. at one point there was a special nail in the
      double yellow line of the road that was adjacent to the well site but in the
      last year or so the road was repaved and the well marker covered. Also with
      the widening of the road more of the embankment has disappeared. On my nlast
      visit I had trouble finding the spot as the outside brick lining to the well
      use to show but no more. I'd be interested in a copy of the current
      archelogical investigation report that is going on there. The site at best
      estimate was for or five feet off the corner (the Old Sharpsburg Road side)
      of the road that goes up to Lamb's Knoll.
      Kevin Rawlings

    • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 27, 2002
        "Rawlings, Kevin" wrote:

        > The old well was not paved over but the top four feet of the well was
        > removed and became part of the embankment to the old Wise's house site on
        > the south side of the road.

        Kevin,

        That was what I thought from time of my first visits to the site in 1984. I will
        be checking my maps and photographs this week in preparation for my talk at the
        event. Perhaps something else will come up. I know Doug Bas (sp?) had hidden
        away some postcards and other images of Wise's Farm. I saw then once long ago in
        his little museum in the furniture store.

        Bill Christen
      • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 27, 2002
          Folks,

          I checked my Fred Gross photograph collection and the image of Wise's yard (ca.
          1922) does not show the well, or rather I cannot make it out. Another image of
          Wise's house that appears to have been taken from a spot behind (north) of the
          present 17th Michigan marker position (before the Reno monument was erected)
          shows the house and a latice-like structure that might be over the well. This
          image can be found on page 50 of the Time-Life book, _The Bloodiest Day_.

          I have some other Fred Gross photographs to check tomorrow.

          Bill Christen
        • Ron Church
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 28, 2002
            Bill

            That is a very good photo, thank you for pointing it out.
            The lattice you note appears to contain a plant of some sort, so I don't
            think it's anything more than that. Based on my discussion with the fellow
            whose name I can't remember, the location of the well is a little farther to
            the right. In fact if you project the right edge of the house downward
            there is a dark spot between the fence and the road. The dark spot is also
            about 60' or so from the intersection (where the buggy is standing) and is
            almost precisely where he indicated the well was located. I believe the
            dark spot is the top of the well. The fact that it is outside the fence I
            don't think is important because the well had gone dry. It is interesting
            also that the type of fence pickets changes at about the dark spot. The
            ones to the right appear to be older. To hazard a reason for the change of
            pickets at that location would be purely speculative, but IMHO it might
            possibly have something to do with access from the house to the dark spot
            (the well) at some previous point in time, perhaps before the well went dry.

            Regards
            Ron Church
            Manchester Md

            > I checked my Fred Gross photograph collection and the image of Wise's yard
            (ca.
            > 1922) does not show the well, or rather I cannot make it out. Another
            image of
            > Wise's house that appears to have been taken from a spot behind (north) of
            the
            > present 17th Michigan marker position (before the Reno monument was
            erected)
            > shows the house and a latice-like structure that might be over the well.
            This
            > image can be found on page 50 of the Time-Life book, _The Bloodiest Day_.
            >
            > I have some other Fred Gross photographs to check tomorrow.
            >
            > Bill Christen

          • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 28, 2002
              Ron Church wrote:

              > That is a very good photo, thank you for pointing it out.
              > The lattice you note appears to contain a plant of some sort, so I don't
              > think it's anything more than that.

              Ron,

              I spent the day digging through my South Mountain files. I discovered some other
              photographs and a study that suggested that the well was at the other end of the
              house...about twenty-five or thirty feet west of the of lattice...which itself
              may actually may the entrance gate. This is same spot as you describe.

              I will take another look at the photos to check the fence construction.

              Bill