Re: [TalkAntietam] Farmer Wise's Well

  • Ron Church
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 26, 2002
      My pleasure Bill, here it is. You can where Reno Monument Road disappears
      into the trees, and you will see that the Wise house (a fuzzy spot at the
      right side of the white area) is farther back from the road than it is
      today. The road was only about 12' wide when the photo was taken, but is now
      16 or 18 feet wide. When the widening was done they paved over the old
      well. It is located in the dark area along the road at the northeasternmost
      corner of the white area.

      Ron Church

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 27, 2002
        Ron and Bill,
        The old well was not paved over but the top four feet of the well was
        removed and became part of the embankment to the old Wise's house site on
        the south side of the road. at one point there was a special nail in the
        double yellow line of the road that was adjacent to the well site but in the
        last year or so the road was repaved and the well marker covered. Also with
        the widening of the road more of the embankment has disappeared. On my nlast
        visit I had trouble finding the spot as the outside brick lining to the well
        use to show but no more. I'd be interested in a copy of the current
        archelogical investigation report that is going on there. The site at best
        estimate was for or five feet off the corner (the Old Sharpsburg Road side)
        of the road that goes up to Lamb's Knoll.
        Kevin Rawlings

      • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 27, 2002
          "Rawlings, Kevin" wrote:

          > The old well was not paved over but the top four feet of the well was
          > removed and became part of the embankment to the old Wise's house site on
          > the south side of the road.

          Kevin,

          That was what I thought from time of my first visits to the site in 1984. I will
          be checking my maps and photographs this week in preparation for my talk at the
          event. Perhaps something else will come up. I know Doug Bas (sp?) had hidden
          away some postcards and other images of Wise's Farm. I saw then once long ago in
          his little museum in the furniture store.

          Bill Christen
        • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 27, 2002
            Folks,

            I checked my Fred Gross photograph collection and the image of Wise's yard (ca.
            1922) does not show the well, or rather I cannot make it out. Another image of
            Wise's house that appears to have been taken from a spot behind (north) of the
            present 17th Michigan marker position (before the Reno monument was erected)
            shows the house and a latice-like structure that might be over the well. This
            image can be found on page 50 of the Time-Life book, _The Bloodiest Day_.

            I have some other Fred Gross photographs to check tomorrow.

            Bill Christen
          • Ron Church
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 28, 2002
              Bill

              That is a very good photo, thank you for pointing it out.
              The lattice you note appears to contain a plant of some sort, so I don't
              think it's anything more than that. Based on my discussion with the fellow
              whose name I can't remember, the location of the well is a little farther to
              the right. In fact if you project the right edge of the house downward
              there is a dark spot between the fence and the road. The dark spot is also
              about 60' or so from the intersection (where the buggy is standing) and is
              almost precisely where he indicated the well was located. I believe the
              dark spot is the top of the well. The fact that it is outside the fence I
              don't think is important because the well had gone dry. It is interesting
              also that the type of fence pickets changes at about the dark spot. The
              ones to the right appear to be older. To hazard a reason for the change of
              pickets at that location would be purely speculative, but IMHO it might
              possibly have something to do with access from the house to the dark spot
              (the well) at some previous point in time, perhaps before the well went dry.

              Regards
              Ron Church
              Manchester Md

              > I checked my Fred Gross photograph collection and the image of Wise's yard
              (ca.
              > 1922) does not show the well, or rather I cannot make it out. Another
              image of
              > Wise's house that appears to have been taken from a spot behind (north) of
              the
              > present 17th Michigan marker position (before the Reno monument was
              erected)
              > shows the house and a latice-like structure that might be over the well.
              This
              > image can be found on page 50 of the Time-Life book, _The Bloodiest Day_.
              >
              > I have some other Fred Gross photographs to check tomorrow.
              >
              > Bill Christen

            • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 28, 2002
                Ron Church wrote:

                > That is a very good photo, thank you for pointing it out.
                > The lattice you note appears to contain a plant of some sort, so I don't
                > think it's anything more than that.

                Ron,

                I spent the day digging through my South Mountain files. I discovered some other
                photographs and a study that suggested that the well was at the other end of the
                house...about twenty-five or thirty feet west of the of lattice...which itself
                may actually may the entrance gate. This is same spot as you describe.

                I will take another look at the photos to check the fence construction.

                Bill