Re: [TalkAntietam] Farmer Wise's Well

  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 26, 2002
      Ron Church wrote:

      > ...there was an aerial photograph of
      > the Fox's Gap area taken in 1936. It shows Wise's field, the Reno monument,
      > and the 17 Mich. field. It is not clear enough to pick out the well, but the
      > surrounding area is easy to discern. If you or any of the members of the
      > group would like to have it, send me an email and I'll pass it along.

      Ron,

      I sure would like a copy. I have photographs of the are taken a few years
      earlier, but an aerial view would great aid my research. I am getting my talk in
      order and will check my photo of Wise's house.

      I hope to get up there during my trip out east for the event.

      Regards,

      Bill Christen
      --
      gwjchris@...
    • Ron Church
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 26, 2002
        My pleasure Bill, here it is. You can where Reno Monument Road disappears
        into the trees, and you will see that the Wise house (a fuzzy spot at the
        right side of the white area) is farther back from the road than it is
        today. The road was only about 12' wide when the photo was taken, but is now
        16 or 18 feet wide. When the widening was done they paved over the old
        well. It is located in the dark area along the road at the northeasternmost
        corner of the white area.

        Ron Church

        > > the Fox's Gap area taken in 1936. It shows Wise's field, the Reno
        monument,
        > > and the 17 Mich. field. It is not clear enough to pick out the well, but
        the
        > > surrounding area is easy to discern. If you or any of the members of
        the
        > > group would like to have it, send me an email and I'll pass it along.
        >
        > Ron,
        >
        > I sure would like a copy. I have photographs of the are taken a few years
        > earlier, but an aerial view would great aid my research. I am getting my
        talk in
        > order and will check my photo of Wise's house.
        >
        > I hope to get up there during my trip out east for the event.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Bill Christen
        > --
        > gwjchris@...

      • Rawlings, Kevin
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 27, 2002
          Ron and Bill,
          The old well was not paved over but the top four feet of the well was
          removed and became part of the embankment to the old Wise's house site on
          the south side of the road. at one point there was a special nail in the
          double yellow line of the road that was adjacent to the well site but in the
          last year or so the road was repaved and the well marker covered. Also with
          the widening of the road more of the embankment has disappeared. On my nlast
          visit I had trouble finding the spot as the outside brick lining to the well
          use to show but no more. I'd be interested in a copy of the current
          archelogical investigation report that is going on there. The site at best
          estimate was for or five feet off the corner (the Old Sharpsburg Road side)
          of the road that goes up to Lamb's Knoll.
          Kevin Rawlings

        • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 27, 2002
            "Rawlings, Kevin" wrote:

            > The old well was not paved over but the top four feet of the well was
            > removed and became part of the embankment to the old Wise's house site on
            > the south side of the road.

            Kevin,

            That was what I thought from time of my first visits to the site in 1984. I will
            be checking my maps and photographs this week in preparation for my talk at the
            event. Perhaps something else will come up. I know Doug Bas (sp?) had hidden
            away some postcards and other images of Wise's Farm. I saw then once long ago in
            his little museum in the furniture store.

            Bill Christen
          • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 27, 2002
              Folks,

              I checked my Fred Gross photograph collection and the image of Wise's yard (ca.
              1922) does not show the well, or rather I cannot make it out. Another image of
              Wise's house that appears to have been taken from a spot behind (north) of the
              present 17th Michigan marker position (before the Reno monument was erected)
              shows the house and a latice-like structure that might be over the well. This
              image can be found on page 50 of the Time-Life book, _The Bloodiest Day_.

              I have some other Fred Gross photographs to check tomorrow.

              Bill Christen
            • Ron Church
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 28, 2002
                Bill

                That is a very good photo, thank you for pointing it out.
                The lattice you note appears to contain a plant of some sort, so I don't
                think it's anything more than that. Based on my discussion with the fellow
                whose name I can't remember, the location of the well is a little farther to
                the right. In fact if you project the right edge of the house downward
                there is a dark spot between the fence and the road. The dark spot is also
                about 60' or so from the intersection (where the buggy is standing) and is
                almost precisely where he indicated the well was located. I believe the
                dark spot is the top of the well. The fact that it is outside the fence I
                don't think is important because the well had gone dry. It is interesting
                also that the type of fence pickets changes at about the dark spot. The
                ones to the right appear to be older. To hazard a reason for the change of
                pickets at that location would be purely speculative, but IMHO it might
                possibly have something to do with access from the house to the dark spot
                (the well) at some previous point in time, perhaps before the well went dry.

                Regards
                Ron Church
                Manchester Md

                > I checked my Fred Gross photograph collection and the image of Wise's yard
                (ca.
                > 1922) does not show the well, or rather I cannot make it out. Another
                image of
                > Wise's house that appears to have been taken from a spot behind (north) of
                the
                > present 17th Michigan marker position (before the Reno monument was
                erected)
                > shows the house and a latice-like structure that might be over the well.
                This
                > image can be found on page 50 of the Time-Life book, _The Bloodiest Day_.
                >
                > I have some other Fred Gross photographs to check tomorrow.
                >
                > Bill Christen

              • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 28, 2002
                  Ron Church wrote:

                  > That is a very good photo, thank you for pointing it out.
                  > The lattice you note appears to contain a plant of some sort, so I don't
                  > think it's anything more than that.

                  Ron,

                  I spent the day digging through my South Mountain files. I discovered some other
                  photographs and a study that suggested that the well was at the other end of the
                  house...about twenty-five or thirty feet west of the of lattice...which itself
                  may actually may the entrance gate. This is same spot as you describe.

                  I will take another look at the photos to check the fence construction.

                  Bill