Farmer Wise's Well

  • Ron Church
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2002
      David,

      Earlier this year I had the opportunity to walk the area of the Wise Farm
      with a gentleman who's name I unfortunately cannot remember. He volunteers
      part time with the Central Maryland Heritage League and occasionally does
      tours. He grew up in the area and remembered the location of the well from
      his younger days. He explained how fascinated he was when he was told that
      the bodies of Confederate soldiers were dumped there, 58 of them. The
      location he showed me was in fact under the south edge of Reno Monument
      Road, perhaps 60' - 75' west of where the present paved road (Appalachian
      Trail) intersects Reno Monument Road. If you look closely you can see a
      difference in the vegetation, and a slight indentation in the embankment.
      He also stated that the well was dry, even when the Confederates were dumped
      into it. So, due to the lack of moisture the bodies were actually in better
      shape for removal and reinterment than their comrades who were buried in
      shallow graves.

      The CMHL has a website http://www.cmhl.org lots of good information there.

      Ron Church
      Manchester MD