Fox's Gap hunt

  • darkpharoh
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 23, 2002
      Hi group,
      Maybe Dr.Clemens can answer this one. I saw on
      www.civilwarinteractive that a project is underway on the Daniel Wise
      farm on the Sth Mtn. battlefield to look for the well where 58 Conf.
      soldiers bodies were dumped. Do you or anyone in the group know who I
      can get in touch w/ to volunteer for this project.
      Thanks
      -jason amico
    • David Lutton
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 23, 2002
        Jason,

        I remember a issue of I believe Blue and Gray magazine several years ago
        that dealt with the well area. As to the story of the bodies being
        deposited in the well, I not sure that it is factual.

        David Lutton
        Hollidaysburg Pa
        > Maybe Dr.Clemens can answer this one. I saw on
        > www.civilwarinteractive that a project is underway on the Daniel Wise
        > farm on the Sth Mtn. battlefield to look for the well where 58 Conf.
        > soldiers bodies were dumped. Do you or anyone in the group know who I
        > can get in touch w/ to volunteer for this project.
        > Thanks
        > -jason amico

      • Tom Clemens
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 23, 2002
          Al Preston, who is the MD State Ranger who runs South Mt. Battlefield Park.
          His e-mail address is AAPreston1@... He is in charge of the thing and
          just shared a progress report with me, very good work going on.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 25, 2002
            Jason,

            Kindly get in touch with the South Mountain Maryland State Park.
            I believe if you performed a Google.com search for the above, you
            would at least find a phone number to contact.

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Pvt., CS Signals,
            Longstreet's Corps

            Edward Lee

            Sponsor ---------------------~-->
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 25, 2002
              David,

              Steve Stotlmeyer told me at the site of where he thinks the well
              might have been (before the Old Sharpsburg Road was widened) back
              in April that, while some bodies were certainly buried in that
              vicinity, he is not sure if the story is entirely true. That is
              part of the reason for the attempt to locate and excavate the
              site of the old well.

              Your humble servant,
              Gerry Mayers
              Pvt., CS Signals,