Re: Antietam Magazine

  • james2044
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 23 2:05 AM
      Gary,

      Keeping Kentucky in the Union was IMHO "much". Perryville, is just
      over looked as an important battle, as is most all of
      the "Heartland". We see the East and Grant but little else.

      I don't know that a British goverment, comming in for the CSA, would
      had lasted after the EP. Britian had taken the lead in stopping the
      slave trade and that would have been a major change.

      James
    • TR Livesey
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 23 7:03 PM
        Isn't Lincoln supposed to have said, "I hope God is on my side --- but
        I must have Kentucky"?

        I don't know what the deal is, but there seems to be some kind of
        conspiracy to ignore Perryville. My own theory is that both sides
        screwed up so incredibly badly, there is a long standing desire
        to pretend it didn't happen.

        The leadership screwed up, that is. The foot solders fought well--
        given the circumstances--particually the Confederates. If you
        thought McClellan had problems, at least he never missed a battle
        sipping tea at his headquarters.

        I finally got out to Perryville this summer. As luck would have it,
        there was a pretty solid rain pouring when I got there, but I wasn't
        going to let that bother me. So, I left my wife in the visitor's center,
        and set out to do the battlefield 'double quick'. Now, I'm in pretty good
        shape, wasn't encumbered by equipment, so I didn't think it would
        be too difficult. Wrong! The first few stops of the tour route are
        laid out basically by the route of the Confederate attack. Let me
        say, after a short while I was huffing and puffing. What you have
        is a series of ridges, from which the Confederates drove the Union
        troops off the first, then off the next, etc. Quite an amazing
        feat of physical endurance.

        This is a great battlefield, in pristine condition. The major landmarks
        of the battle are basically these hills and ridges (called 'knobs'),
        and, unlike woodlots and cornfields, have not been removed, so
        the battlefield can be explored today in almost the same condition
        it was in at the time. Highly recommended.

        Regards,
        TR Livesey
        tlivesey@...

      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 23 7:21 PM
          For those interested in the current "Antietam Commemorative Issue" that I
          mentioned, here are some of the articles:

          To Antietam Creek - D. Scott Hartwig
          Lost and Found: SO No. 191 - Stephen Sears
          War on South Mountain - Mark Grimsley
          Carnage in a Cornfield - Robert Cheeks
          'Dear Union:' A Federal Artilleryman at Antietam - John Hennessy
          Readers' Guide To Antietam - Thomas Clemens
          Horrors of Bloody Lane - B. Keith Toney
          Whay Did Burnside Cross the Bridge - Thomas Clemens
          They Never Had a Chance (16th Conn Inf) - Lesley Gordon
          Defeat or Victory? (South perspectives on Antietam) - Gary Gallagher
          An Interview with John Howard (Superintendent of battlefield)
          Preservation (SHAF's great efforts) - Robert Hodge

          Tom Clemens' article notes that readers can anticipate (in future) Scott
          Hartwig's multivolume study of the Maryland Campaign.

          If you are desperate to find a copy, my local store has several on shelf. For
          cost (4.99 + .30 tax) plus US postage, I get you a copy and send it off ASAP.

          Tom Shay
          rotbaron@...

          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 25 6:58 PM
            James;

            I believe your post was to me; my nickname can be seen below.

            As to Perryville, yes, it was equally an important battle in the
            Western theater at almost the same time as Confederate forces
            were attempting to carve out a Confederate Southwest (Arizona,
            New Mexico and Southern California areas).

            1862 between August and October was the true High Tide of the
            Confederacy!

            As to the British Government, etc. had Lee won at Antietam,
            Lincoln would have been unable to issue the EP and the British
            Government might have been able to use its not inconsiderable
            influence to arrange a negotiated peace. (Which is what the
            Confederacy really wanted after all!)

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Pvt., CS Signals,
            Longstreet's Corps

            Edward Lee

            Sponsor ---------------------~-->
            > 4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/mG3HAA/GmiolB/TM
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • james2044
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 26 1:59 AM
              I agree if "Lee had won", when he didn't and the EP was issued the
              British Goverment could/would not work for the CSA.

              James
            • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 26 6:30 AM
                If you
                thought McClellan had problems, at least he never missed a battle
                sipping tea at his headquarters.

                Ahem....