Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam Magazine

  • Andy Mills
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 19, 2002
      Tom

      Thank you. If you bought it, I know it must be good and worth the
      money. Thanks again.

      Andy

      Andy,

      I assume you are refering to the "140th Commemorative Edition", a
      special edition just published by editors of CWTI, MHQ, &
      America's Civil War. It features plenty of articles (Cornfield,
      Sunken Road, Burnside Bridge, Maryland Campaign) by many
      contributors (Gary Gallagher, Tom Clemens, Stephen Sears, John
      Hennessy). As an avid student of the battle, I obviously
      had to buy it! Cost is $4.99 .

      Tom Shay
    • rotbaron@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 19, 2002
        In a message dated 08/19/2002 7:22:26 AM EST, kamills@... writes:
        << Thank you. If you bought it, I know it must be good and worth the money.
        Thanks again. >>

        I just began the article on Sunken Road. I buy anything related to Antietam,
        so don't let my purchasing indicate it's good stuff. I see member Tom Clemens
        has an article "Reader's Guide to Antietam". For $4.99, I don't think you'll
        regret the purchase!

        Tom Shay
      • John Furey
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 19, 2002
          Tom
          Is this mag. available other than the bookstore.
          John

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 19, 2002
            In a message dated 08/19/2002 8:15:14 AM EST, antietam@... writes:
            << Tom Is this mag. available other than the bookstore. John >>

            I bought mine at a local Giant foodstore (on magazine rack).

            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 19, 2002

              Where can the magazine be purchased? Just for the sake of some
              members of this group having contributed, it alone will be worth
              the price.

              Your humble servant,
              Gerry Mayers
              Pvt., CS Signals,
              Longstreet's Corps

              Edward Lee

              Sponsor ---------------------~-->
              > 4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
              > http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/Ey.GAA/GmiolB/TM
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Tom Clemens
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 19, 2002
                It is a special issue from Primedia, publishers of CWTI and America's Civil
                War. I thought it was good, but am not an unbiased source.
                Tom Clemens

              • rotbaron@aol.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 20, 2002
                  In a message dated 08/19/2002 9:38:54 PM EST, clemens@... writes:
                  << t is a special issue from Primedia, publishers of CWTI and America's Civil
                  War. I thought it was good, but am not an unbiased source. >>

                  The Burnsides Bridge article by Tom Clemens does a great job at setting the
                  record straight regarding IX Corps' limited options for crossing the creek.

                  Tom Shay
                • David Lutton
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 20, 2002

                    I have not seen the pub being discussed here but I have always had a
                    question concerning the effectiveness of Union artillery on this sector of
                    the battlefield. Perhaps you addressed this in the article?

                    Granted the defensive position of rebel troops at the bridge area extending
                    toward the ford was good, several Union batteries (I cannot recall the
                    actual number ) were concentrating their fire in this relatively small area
                    of this battlefield. Why was Union artillery not more effective? Most of
                    these Union batteries were not subject to counter battery fire.

                    Given the relative strength of the artillery employed by both sides in this
                    sector of the battlefield, can we assume that Union artillery was not fully
                    or effectively employed?

                    David Lutton
                    Hollidaysburg Pa

                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 20, 2002
                      David,
                      I do not address it at length, but yes, I agree that the Union artillery was
                      not very effective. There really were few good positions to fire upon the
                      Confederates above the bridge, and the rebs used the quarry pits and trees for
                      cover, making them hard to dislodge. There was some CS counterbattery fire from
                      above the bridge and from Cemetery Hill too. Some of the Union guns, Benjamin's
                      IIRC, ran out of ammo too.
                      Tom Clemens

                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 21, 2002

                        I agree the 9th Corps artillery support was lacking during this part of the
                        fight. Might I further put forth a proposition that Antietam was
                        perhaps the only battlefield of the war in the east where Union artillery
                        was outperformed during the war? It seems to me that Rebel artillery was
                        very well positioned and served during the battle. Luck or talent?

                        David Lutton
                        Hollidaysburg Pa

                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 21, 2002
                          David,

                          I think it depends on how you look at the use of both armies'
                          artillery.

                          The Union artillery was able to perform some pretty effective
                          counter battery fire against Confederate artillery positions from
                          longer distances than the Confederate artillery could answer. By
                          this I mean the massed Union batteries on Elk Ridge on the
                          eastern side of The Antietam.

                          Confederate artillery, due to its shorter range and also problems
                          with non-functioning munitions, actually performed far better in
                          an anti-personnel role.

                          Tom Shay and Tom Clemens, would this be your take on the
                          comparative strengths and weaknesses of the artillery of both
                          sides at the battle?

                          Your humble servant,
                          Gerry Mayers
                          Pvt., CS Signals,
                          Longstreet's Corps

                          Edward Lee

                          Sponsor ---------------------~-->
                          > 4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
                          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/mG3HAA/GmiolB/TM
                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 21, 2002
                            Folks,

                            The subject header reminds me that at some point it would be nice if we could
                            start an "Antietam" magazine similar to the "Gettysburg" magazine. Bob Younger
                            of Morningside has said that he is too busy to venture into another magazine. I
                            am at least a year away from such a project, but perhaps someone else could get
                            it going.

                            Bill Christen
                          • Tom Clemens
                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 21, 2002
                              David,
                              Interesting question. I do not claim expertise here, but will offer a few
                              thoughts. No question that CS artillery had better organization. They had
                              begun the artillery battalion system, had officers with authority and rank to
                              mass guns where needed and use them in numbers. For example Lee on Dunker
                              Church plateau etc. ALso lack of older officers, Walton for example, let
                              younger ones shine, ie. Pelham. Stuart did a lot with CS artillery, and it was
                              good. US were not approaching that level yet. After Hunt only 1 field officer
                              (other than Tyler with HA) and that one, Maj.Arndt, was KIA 9/16.
                              CS on defense, and that makes artillery more effective. Also CS preponderance
                              in smoothbores not as harmful when used in defense.
                              OTOH, Union had more and better guns, four batteries of 20 pdrs who made Col.
                              Lee's life "Artillery Hell" and a lot of others people too. CS had no 20's
                              there. CS still using 45 6-pdrs, US had none. US guns not well used, only 22
                              batteries cross the creek and most of them used north of Sunken Rd. US also had
                              trained cadre of regulars influencing volunteers, CS did not.

                              Summary, North seemed to have advantage, but CS made up deficiences in material
                              and men with circumstances of defense, proper command authority and dash.
                              Advantage - South.
                              Just off the top of my head, hope it helps.
                              Tom Clemens

                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 22, 2002

                                Exactly. With the rise of Hunt and others in the coming months, Union
                                artillery would dominate this arm of the service for the rest of the war. By
                                Gburg it truly was a formidable force. But at Antietam it seems to me that
                                Southern guns were better placed and used at the 'points of contention'
                                throughout the day.

                                David Lutton
                                Hollidaysburg Pa
                                > Interesting question. I do not claim expertise here, but will offer a few
                                > thoughts. No question that CS artillery had better organization. They
                                had
                                > begun the artillery battalion system, had officers with authority and rank
                                > mass guns where needed and use them in numbers. For example Lee on Dunker
                                > Church plateau etc. ALso lack of older officers, Walton for example, let
                                > younger ones shine, ie. Pelham. Stuart did a lot with CS artillery, and
                                it was
                                > good. US were not approaching that level yet. After Hunt only 1 field
                                officer
                                > (other than Tyler with HA) and that one, Maj.Arndt, was KIA 9/16.
                                > CS on defense, and that makes artillery more effective. Also CS
                                preponderance
                                > in smoothbores not as harmful when used in defense.
                                > OTOH, Union had more and better guns, four batteries of 20 pdrs who made
                                Col.
                                > Lee's life "Artillery Hell" and a lot of others people too. CS had no
                                20's
                                > there. CS still using 45 6-pdrs, US had none. US guns not well used,
                                only 22
                                > batteries cross the creek and most of them used north of Sunken Rd. US
                                also had
                                > trained cadre of regulars influencing volunteers, CS did not.
                                >
                                > Summary, North seemed to have advantage, but CS made up deficiences in
                                material
                                > and men with circumstances of defense, proper command authority and dash.
                                > Advantage - South.
                                > Just off the top of my head, hope it helps.
                                > Tom Clemens
                                >
                                > David Lutton wrote:
                                >
                                > > Tom,
                                > >
                                > > I agree the 9th Corps artillery support was lacking during this part of
                                the
                                > > fight. Might I further put forth a proposition that Antietam was
                                > > perhaps the only battlefield of the war in the east where Union
                                artillery
                                > > was outperformed during the war? It seems to me that Rebel artillery
                                was
                                > > very well positioned and served during the battle. Luck or talent?
                                > >
                                > > David Lutton
                                > > Hollidaysburg Pa

                              • james2044
                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 22, 2002
                                  IMHO, Antietam is the start of the AOP putting together an effective
                                  command group and the docturn to use it's weapons. Gettysburg is the
                                  graduation battle.

                                  The CSA never seemed to grow but stayed with what had worked thru the
                                  summer of '62. With Perryville and the Emancepation Proclamation the
                                  war is lost.
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 22, 2002
                                    James,

                                    Perryville did not really accomplish much but it _did_ keep
                                    Kentucky out of the Confederate camp permanently. However, the EP
                                    is what truly changed the entire strategic course of the war.

                                    The summer and early fall of 1862 was the true high water mark of
                                    the Confederate States of America.

                                    Gettysburg was merely the high water mark as far as
                                    offensive-defensive operations of the Army of Northern Virginia
                                    was to be concerned. To be fair to the CSA and ANV, at that point
                                    the war could still have gone in favor of the South in terms of a
                                    negotiated settlement. A victory for Lee and the ANV at
                                    Gettysburg on clearly Yankee soil following the disaster at
                                    Chancellorsville atop the disaster at Fredericksburg would have
                                    sent the Lincoln administration reeling, IMHO, and might even
                                    have brought the British Empire in to the fray as making it
                                    clearly known to the US Government that a negotiated settlement
                                    of peace in favor of the Confederate States was now in order.

                                    Your humble servant,
                                    Gerry Mayers
                                    Pvt., CS Signals,
                                    Longstreet's Corps

                                    Edward Lee

                                    Sponsor ---------------------~-->

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 22, 2002
                                      Yes, I agree.

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Aug 23, 2002
                                        Gary,

                                        Keeping Kentucky in the Union was IMHO "much". Perryville, is just
                                        over looked as an important battle, as is most all of
                                        the "Heartland". We see the East and Grant but little else.

                                        I don't know that a British goverment, comming in for the CSA, would
                                        had lasted after the EP. Britian had taken the lead in stopping the
                                        slave trade and that would have been a major change.

                                        James
                                      • TR Livesey
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Aug 23, 2002
                                          Isn't Lincoln supposed to have said, "I hope God is on my side --- but
                                          I must have Kentucky"?

                                          I don't know what the deal is, but there seems to be some kind of
                                          conspiracy to ignore Perryville. My own theory is that both sides
                                          screwed up so incredibly badly, there is a long standing desire
                                          to pretend it didn't happen.

                                          The leadership screwed up, that is. The foot solders fought well--
                                          given the circumstances--particually the Confederates. If you
                                          thought McClellan had problems, at least he never missed a battle
                                          sipping tea at his headquarters.

                                          I finally got out to Perryville this summer. As luck would have it,
                                          there was a pretty solid rain pouring when I got there, but I wasn't
                                          going to let that bother me. So, I left my wife in the visitor's center,
                                          and set out to do the battlefield 'double quick'. Now, I'm in pretty good
                                          shape, wasn't encumbered by equipment, so I didn't think it would
                                          be too difficult. Wrong! The first few stops of the tour route are
                                          laid out basically by the route of the Confederate attack. Let me
                                          say, after a short while I was huffing and puffing. What you have
                                          is a series of ridges, from which the Confederates drove the Union
                                          troops off the first, then off the next, etc. Quite an amazing
                                          feat of physical endurance.

                                          This is a great battlefield, in pristine condition. The major landmarks
                                          of the battle are basically these hills and ridges (called 'knobs'),
                                          and, unlike woodlots and cornfields, have not been removed, so
                                          the battlefield can be explored today in almost the same condition
                                          it was in at the time. Highly recommended.

                                          Regards,
                                          TR Livesey
                                          tlivesey@...

                                        • rotbaron@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Aug 23, 2002
                                            For those interested in the current "Antietam Commemorative Issue" that I
                                            mentioned, here are some of the articles:

                                            To Antietam Creek - D. Scott Hartwig
                                            Lost and Found: SO No. 191 - Stephen Sears
                                            War on South Mountain - Mark Grimsley
                                            Carnage in a Cornfield - Robert Cheeks
                                            'Dear Union:' A Federal Artilleryman at Antietam - John Hennessy
                                            Readers' Guide To Antietam - Thomas Clemens
                                            Horrors of Bloody Lane - B. Keith Toney
                                            Whay Did Burnside Cross the Bridge - Thomas Clemens
                                            They Never Had a Chance (16th Conn Inf) - Lesley Gordon
                                            Defeat or Victory? (South perspectives on Antietam) - Gary Gallagher
                                            An Interview with John Howard (Superintendent of battlefield)
                                            Preservation (SHAF's great efforts) - Robert Hodge

                                            Tom Clemens' article notes that readers can anticipate (in future) Scott
                                            Hartwig's multivolume study of the Maryland Campaign.

                                            If you are desperate to find a copy, my local store has several on shelf. For
                                            cost (4.99 + .30 tax) plus US postage, I get you a copy and send it off ASAP.

                                            Tom Shay
                                            rotbaron@...

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Aug 25, 2002
                                              James;

                                              I believe your post was to me; my nickname can be seen below.

                                              As to Perryville, yes, it was equally an important battle in the
                                              Western theater at almost the same time as Confederate forces
                                              were attempting to carve out a Confederate Southwest (Arizona,
                                              New Mexico and Southern California areas).

                                              1862 between August and October was the true High Tide of the
                                              Confederacy!

                                              As to the British Government, etc. had Lee won at Antietam,
                                              Lincoln would have been unable to issue the EP and the British
                                              Government might have been able to use its not inconsiderable
                                              influence to arrange a negotiated peace. (Which is what the
                                              Confederacy really wanted after all!)

                                              Your humble servant,
                                              Gerry Mayers
                                              Pvt., CS Signals,
                                              Longstreet's Corps

                                              Edward Lee

                                              Sponsor ---------------------~-->

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Aug 26, 2002
                                                I agree if "Lee had won", when he didn't and the EP was issued the
                                                British Goverment could/would not work for the CSA.

                                                James
                                              • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Aug 26, 2002
                                                  If you
                                                  thought McClellan had problems, at least he never missed a battle
                                                  sipping tea at his headquarters.

                                                  Ahem....