Mansfield Wounding Controversy Article

  • Pa128th@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2002
      In a message dated 8/18/02 10:20:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      gerry1952@... writes:

      > IIRC, was anything ever determined why there is such a huge
      > discrepancy between the information on the Mansfield monument
      > about where the General was mortally wounded and the compass
      > information inscribed on his mortuary cannon...both of which are
      > a scant few yards from each other?

      Gerry:

      I am not sure about why the difference in the 2 in terms of who was
      responsible for the inscriptions. However, as we might have mentioned here
      before(and mentioned in Gambone's article), there was a controversy between
      John Gould of the 10th Maine and the 125th Pa about where Mansfield was
      wounded. I believe from my research that this has to do with the fact that
      after Mansfield was wounded, he was still riding back and forth directing his
      troops. I think in the midst of battle and the confusion that was going on,
      it was easy for various people seeing Mansfield to assume he was wounded
      directing their regiment.

      As far as I can determine, Mansfield had no staff with him - he had insisted
      that his corps march massed together - this is how they literally ran into
      the Confederates.

      Paula