Re: [TalkAntietam] New member

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2001
      In a message dated 05/04/2001 12:13:22 PM EST, mchardy@... writes:
      << Greetings Folks! Just signed up for what I hope is a long term of
      service. >>

      Welcome, Michael!

      It seems this group's membership is growing nicely.

      Tom Shay
    • Ron Church
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 7, 2002
        Good evening all,

        I am new to this room and this is my first attempt at posting. I have been interested in September '62 Maryland campaign for a number of years some time now and look forward to exchanging ideas and information with the members of the group.

        Best Regards
        Ron Church
        Manchester, Md

      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 8, 2002
          In a message dated 07/07/2002 10:34:22 PM EST, rchurch@... writes:
          << I am new to this room and this is my first attempt at posting. >>

          Ron, welcome to TalkAntietam. Are you also member of GDG? If so, I assume it
          was you who gave us the Pipe Creek tour several years ago.

          Feel free to initiate any discussions about the Maryland Campaign that
          interest you.

          Now that the anniversary of that "other battle" is over, we can focus on the
          real High Water Mark: Antietam.

          Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 8, 2002
            Ron,

            Welcome. I am not the moderator of this group but a fellow
            member. Looking forward to your questions and also learning from
            you as well.

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Pvt., CS Signals,
            Longstreet's Corps

            Edward Lee

            Sponsor ---------------------~-->
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 8, 2002
              Tom S;

              Were you by any chance at Gburg this weekend? If so, answer me
              privately please.

              Your humble servant,
              Gerry Mayers
              Pvt., CS Signals,
              Longstreet's Corps

              Edward Lee

              Sponsor ---------------------~-->
              > Free $5 Love Reading
              > Risk Free!
              > http://us.click.yahoo.com/Pp91HA/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/GmiolB/TM
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • thomasdledward
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 28, 2005
                Good day all,

                I'm new to your group, but not to the subject of Antietam or
                Sharpsburg or Cramptons Gap or South Mountain.

                I spent much of my youth growing up in both Locust Valley, Maryland
                and Jefferson, Maryland [more closer to Burkittsville than Jefferson]
                and going to elementary school in Middletown, Maryland and the first
                year of Junior High at Middletown High [we are the Knights, the mighty
                mighty Knights!]and on up to Hagerstown/Mt. Atena, Maryland to
                complete a couple more years of High school there before heading west.

                I remember most of the locals there, some whose families had been
                there since the days of Antietam and earlier.

                I'd walk just about every other weekend in both spring and summer and
                fall along the Appellation trail from Cramptons Gap to South Mountain.
                One could almost sense the musket fire as a kid while walking along
                the trail.

                Now, I live in Southern California and originally moved out here in
                1967 and then moved back to D.C. in 1970 and back to California again
                in 1974 and have been here ever since.
                But, some of the best days of my life were spent right there in
                Jefferson [according to the postal, not geographical address].

                I look forward to participating and understanding more right along
                with everyone here about one of America's most bloodiest days of history.

                At present, I'm list owner of
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bounty-of-Pitcairn/ where we discuss all
                aspects of the 'Mutiny On The Bounty' saga. I'm a descendant of the
                Bounty's surgeon, hence my yahoo id.

                Look forward to going through all the post and catching up.
                Thanks for allowing me to be part of your educational discussions.

                best,

                David Townsend
              • bdowney@aotw.org
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 28, 2005
                  Hi David - it's good to have you here - welcome indeed! Look forward to hearing more form you
                  as we go,

                  Regards,
                  Brian
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 3, 2005
                    I recently acquired a badge for the dedication of what looks to me like
                    the 20th New York monument just outside the visitor center. The badge
                    says "Dedicated September 17, 1896". John Schildt's Monuments at
                    Antietam says that the 20th NY monument was dedicated in 1910. In the
                    book New York at Antietam it says 1911. I'm at a loss. Anyone know of
                    any monuments at Antietam that were dedicated on Sept. 17, 1896? Thanks.

                    Stephen Recker
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 3, 2005
                      Now that I look at it, I think it may well be the 9th New York monument
                      badge. That monument was dedicated on May 28, 1897, but I can imagine
                      that they may have made the badge in anticipation of it being dedicated
                      the previous fall. Anyway, if anyone has any other info I would love to
                      hear it. Thanks.

                      Stephen