Officer on Burnside's Bridge in paintings?

  • scottmingus
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 16, 2002
      On Don Stivers' painting of Burnside's Bridge, as well as on other
      depictions of the action, there is a Union officer shown standing on
      the side wall rail of the bridge, waving his sword and exhorting the
      men. Is this supposed to be the colonel of the 51st John Hartranft or
      some junior officer? Are there contemporary accounts of this officer?

      Scott
    • Pa128th@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 16, 2002
        What's the name of the print - I am at Stivers web site but don't see one by
        that name? Perhaps if we can look at it - this would help identify the
        officer.

        <A HREF="http://www.donstivers.com/search.html">Don Stivers' Portfolio</A>

        Paula

      • scottmingus
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 21, 2002
          This officer is Col. Potter of the 51st PA. I finally found an
          account of this in the regimental memoirs. Potter was cursing ans
          swearing up a storm trying to exhort his regiment onward. He finally
          leaped up on the parapet and waved his sword with great vigor, still
          cursing a blue streak.

          regards!

          Scott

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 21, 2002
            Scott,

            Was it Potter or Hartranft who was so hoarse (from his yelling,
            cussing and screaming) when his men finally started streaming
            over the bridge that he could only exhort them on in an almost
            whisper?

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Pvt., CS Signals,