Antietam from Louisville

  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2002
      A friend of mine, Robin Schwartz, has been posting some Antietam related
      items from a Louisville newspaper nm another list. I thought they might be of
      Bill Christen

      LOUISVILLE DAILY JOURNAL, September 17, 1862.

      American reports a conversation with a gentleman who was in Frederick when
      Bradley Johnson and his rebel followers came into the city, and remained
      there four days, not leaving till Tuesday evening. We append so much of
      this conversation as is of importance:

      Question. Was there any Federal money used by them in their purchases?

      Answer. None at all that I heard of. The only money beside
      Confederate scrip was some South Carolina money. They have perfectly
      cleared everything out of the city in the way of clothing and provisions, so
      much so, that if they remain a week longer both soldiers and people will be
      in a starving condition. They go around the town, also, begging something
      to eat, but always offer Confederate scrip in payment.

      Q. How did the storekeepers fare?

      A. They have sold everything, and been compelled to give good money in
      change. They were ordered to open their stores by Bradley Johnson and did
      not dare to refuse the money offered. Mr. A. J. Delashman, one of the
      leading secessionists, had a large stock of boots and shoes, and while
      dealing them out for rebel scrip, fairly grit his teeth in silence when some
      of his Union friends congratulated him on the fine business he was doing.
      Mr. D. was one of the Committee of citizens who went out to welcome the
      rebels to the city.

      Q. Has any of the houses of the Union citizens who absented themselves
      been invaded?

      A. The only house occupied by the rebels is that of General Cooper,
      and it is not abused. A party of soldiers, incited by some of the secession
      town-people, broke into the Frederick Examiner office, and commenced to
      destroy the office furniture, when a secession lawyer name Ross interfered,
      and the Provost Guard coming up soon dispersed the party. Bradley Johnson
      told them that any attempt to renew the outrage on private property would be
      punished with death.

      Q. Did they obtain many recruits in Frederick?

      A. Not many in Frederick, but there was about 500 came in from
      Baltimore, Anne Arundel, Montgomery and Carroll counties, and some from
      Baltimore City. After seeing the character of the army and the life which
      the men led, many of them refused to join and were getting home again. When
      leaving myself I met six young men from Carroll county, and piloted them to
      Westminster. They acknowledged that they had been to Frederick to join the
      [Confederate] army, but after "seeing and smelling" it, had concluded to
      return home. They begged me not to give their names.

      Q. What did they mean by smelling it?

      A. They meant exactly what they said.