Re: [TalkAntietam] Mansfield's route

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 14, 2002
      Todd, Paula, Ron and all,

      Correct me if I am mistaken, but I seem to recall reading at one
      point or another that by the time Mansfield actually had his XII
      Corps on the field Joe Hooker had already been wounded and was,
      unfortunately, out of the tactical situation and thereby unable
      to inform Mansfield of the actual situation.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Pvt., CS Signals,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 14, 2002

        I'm not sure just how much information Hooker had conveyed to Mansfield,
        perhaps some of the others can shed more light on this. But I do have some
        information regarding timing that might be of interest; BG Alpheus Williams
        (now commanding XII Corps) states in his report "While the deployment was
        going on, and before the leading regiments were fully engaged, it was
        reported to me that the veteran and distinguished commander of the corps was
        mortally wounded. I at once reported to Major-General Hooker on the field,
        took from him such direction as the pressing exigencies would permit, and
        hastened to make a disposition of the corps to meet them".

        Williams doesn't mention anything about Hooker having been wounded. From the
        NPS maps, Mansfield reached the "deployment" area at about 8:00 so
        Mansfield's wounding may have happened between 8:00 and 8:30.

        Hooker in his report states, "While my wound was being examined by the
        surgeon, Sumner's corps appeared on the field on my immediate right, and I
        have an indistinct recollection of having seen Sedgwick's division pass to
        the front." Since Sumner entered the West Woods at about 9:00 it would be
        possible that the two commanders were wounded within the same half hour.

        Given the "exigencies" Williams referred to, unless Hooker and Mansfield met
        or communicated earlier, it doesn't look like there was much time for
        coordination at the corps level once the battle started.

        Ron Church
        Manchester MD

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 14, 2002
          Ron:

          IIRC, once Hooker's units reached the area of The Cornfield, the
          orchestrated "plan" that Mac wanted Hooker to perform on the left
          flank of the Confedere line went to pieces. The battle started to
          take on a life of its own.......

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Pvt., CS Signals,