Re: [TalkAntietam] Mansfield's route/death

  • rchurch@qis.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2002
      > I believe this difference is because while wounded, Mansfield is going back
      > and forth among his troops. Everyone thinking that Mansfield is shot while
      > deploying them. There is some correspondence I came across awhile back
      > between the 10th Me and IIRC the 125th Pa - each claiming that Mansfield was
      >
      > wounded while with their respective units. I am not clear on all the
      > particulars, but it was something in that vein.
      >
      > I will try and fix up the article's margins and post it here next week.
      >
      > Paula

      Paula,

      It does make sense that if he was in motion all the while, deploying his
      troops, that the actual location would be very difficult to pin down. Over
      time I've happened across several different versions of the Mansfield story.
      One has him bleeding almost to death in the saddle, another has him taking 3
      balls in the chest simultaneously and falling forward so that his horse comes
      down on him. Maybe the article you have can shed some light on it. At any
      rate, I very much appreciate you putting it up. Thank you.

      Ron Church
      Manchester MD
    • Rawlings, Kevin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12, 2002
        Ron,

        Are you the Ron Church who once was a member of the 14th Tennessee?

        Kevin Rawlings