Re: [TalkAntietam] Mansfield's route/death

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 11, 2002
      Paula,

      While I think I might have read it originally on another forum
      which you and I once belonged to, I think it would certainly be
      of good use to the present forum.

      What I find so interesting is that, even though the mortuary
      cannon and the Mansfield monument are relatively close to each
      other, the locations they give for the mortal wounding of
      Mansfield very quite widely.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Pvt., CS Signals,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11, 2002
        In a message dated 7/11/02 8:58:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        gerry1952@... writes:

        > While I think I might have read it originally on another forum
        > which you and I once belonged to, I think it would certainly be
        > of good use to the present forum.
        >
        > What I find so interesting is that, even though the mortuary
        > cannon and the Mansfield monument are relatively close to each
        > other, the locations they give for the mortal wounding of
        > Mansfield very quite widely.

        Gerry:

        I believe this difference is because while wounded, Mansfield is going back
        and forth among his troops. Everyone thinking that Mansfield is shot while
        deploying them. There is some correspondence I came across awhile back
        between the 10th Me and IIRC the 125th Pa - each claiming that Mansfield was
        wounded while with their respective units. I am not clear on all the
        particulars, but it was something in that vein.

        I will try and fix up the article's margins and post it here next week.

        Paula

      • rchurch@qis.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 12, 2002
          > I believe this difference is because while wounded, Mansfield is going back
          > and forth among his troops. Everyone thinking that Mansfield is shot while
          > deploying them. There is some correspondence I came across awhile back
          > between the 10th Me and IIRC the 125th Pa - each claiming that Mansfield was
          >
          > wounded while with their respective units. I am not clear on all the
          > particulars, but it was something in that vein.
          >
          > I will try and fix up the article's margins and post it here next week.
          >
          > Paula

          Paula,

          It does make sense that if he was in motion all the while, deploying his
          troops, that the actual location would be very difficult to pin down. Over
          time I've happened across several different versions of the Mansfield story.
          One has him bleeding almost to death in the saddle, another has him taking 3
          balls in the chest simultaneously and falling forward so that his horse comes
          down on him. Maybe the article you have can shed some light on it. At any
          rate, I very much appreciate you putting it up. Thank you.

          Ron Church
          Manchester MD
        • Rawlings, Kevin
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 12, 2002
            Ron,

            Are you the Ron Church who once was a member of the 14th Tennessee?

            Kevin Rawlings