Mansfield's route/death

  • Pa128th@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 11, 2002
      Several years ago Al Gambone (author of several books on Generals from the
      Norristown, Pa area, Hancock, Zook, Hartranft, etc.) wrote an article on the
      death of Mansfield. It was published in a short-lived(unfortunately) CW
      newpaper "The CW Brigadier". I have gotten permission from Al and the
      Brigadier to post that article on this list. The only problem is when it was
      transferred to me - the margins went crazy and I never got around to
      correcting it. So I am going to work on that. I am also busy over the
      weekend. So I will try and work on it next week and post as soon as I can.

      Paula

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11, 2002
        Paula,

        While I think I might have read it originally on another forum
        which you and I once belonged to, I think it would certainly be
        of good use to the present forum.

        What I find so interesting is that, even though the mortuary
        cannon and the Mansfield monument are relatively close to each
        other, the locations they give for the mortal wounding of
        Mansfield very quite widely.

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Pvt., CS Signals,
        Longstreet's Corps

        Edward Lee

        Sponsor ---------------------~-->
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Pa128th@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11, 2002
          In a message dated 7/11/02 8:58:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          gerry1952@... writes:

          > While I think I might have read it originally on another forum
          > which you and I once belonged to, I think it would certainly be
          > of good use to the present forum.
          >
          > What I find so interesting is that, even though the mortuary
          > cannon and the Mansfield monument are relatively close to each
          > other, the locations they give for the mortal wounding of
          > Mansfield very quite widely.

          Gerry:

          I believe this difference is because while wounded, Mansfield is going back
          and forth among his troops. Everyone thinking that Mansfield is shot while
          deploying them. There is some correspondence I came across awhile back
          between the 10th Me and IIRC the 125th Pa - each claiming that Mansfield was
          wounded while with their respective units. I am not clear on all the
          particulars, but it was something in that vein.

          I will try and fix up the article's margins and post it here next week.

          Paula

        • rchurch@qis.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 12, 2002
            > I believe this difference is because while wounded, Mansfield is going back
            > and forth among his troops. Everyone thinking that Mansfield is shot while
            > deploying them. There is some correspondence I came across awhile back
            > between the 10th Me and IIRC the 125th Pa - each claiming that Mansfield was
            >
            > wounded while with their respective units. I am not clear on all the
            > particulars, but it was something in that vein.
            >
            > I will try and fix up the article's margins and post it here next week.
            >
            > Paula

            Paula,

            It does make sense that if he was in motion all the while, deploying his
            troops, that the actual location would be very difficult to pin down. Over
            time I've happened across several different versions of the Mansfield story.
            One has him bleeding almost to death in the saddle, another has him taking 3
            balls in the chest simultaneously and falling forward so that his horse comes
            down on him. Maybe the article you have can shed some light on it. At any
            rate, I very much appreciate you putting it up. Thank you.

            Ron Church
            Manchester MD
          • Rawlings, Kevin
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 12, 2002
              Ron,

              Are you the Ron Church who once was a member of the 14th Tennessee?

              Kevin Rawlings