Re: [TalkAntietam] New member

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 8, 2002
      Tom S;

      Were you by any chance at Gburg this weekend? If so, answer me
      privately please.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Pvt., CS Signals,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 28, 2005
        Good day all,

        I'm new to your group, but not to the subject of Antietam or
        Sharpsburg or Cramptons Gap or South Mountain.

        I spent much of my youth growing up in both Locust Valley, Maryland
        and Jefferson, Maryland [more closer to Burkittsville than Jefferson]
        and going to elementary school in Middletown, Maryland and the first
        year of Junior High at Middletown High [we are the Knights, the mighty
        mighty Knights!]and on up to Hagerstown/Mt. Atena, Maryland to
        complete a couple more years of High school there before heading west.

        I remember most of the locals there, some whose families had been
        there since the days of Antietam and earlier.

        I'd walk just about every other weekend in both spring and summer and
        fall along the Appellation trail from Cramptons Gap to South Mountain.
        One could almost sense the musket fire as a kid while walking along
        the trail.

        Now, I live in Southern California and originally moved out here in
        1967 and then moved back to D.C. in 1970 and back to California again
        in 1974 and have been here ever since.
        But, some of the best days of my life were spent right there in
        Jefferson [according to the postal, not geographical address].

        I look forward to participating and understanding more right along
        with everyone here about one of America's most bloodiest days of history.

        At present, I'm list owner of
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bounty-of-Pitcairn/ where we discuss all
        aspects of the 'Mutiny On The Bounty' saga. I'm a descendant of the
        Bounty's surgeon, hence my yahoo id.

        Look forward to going through all the post and catching up.
        Thanks for allowing me to be part of your educational discussions.

        best,

        David Townsend
      • bdowney@aotw.org
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 28, 2005
          Hi David - it's good to have you here - welcome indeed! Look forward to hearing more form you
          as we go,

          Regards,
          Brian
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 3, 2005
            I recently acquired a badge for the dedication of what looks to me like
            the 20th New York monument just outside the visitor center. The badge
            says "Dedicated September 17, 1896". John Schildt's Monuments at
            Antietam says that the 20th NY monument was dedicated in 1910. In the
            book New York at Antietam it says 1911. I'm at a loss. Anyone know of
            any monuments at Antietam that were dedicated on Sept. 17, 1896? Thanks.

            Stephen Recker
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 3, 2005
              Now that I look at it, I think it may well be the 9th New York monument
              badge. That monument was dedicated on May 28, 1897, but I can imagine
              that they may have made the badge in anticipation of it being dedicated
              the previous fall. Anyway, if anyone has any other info I would love to
              hear it. Thanks.

              Stephen