Re: [TalkAntietam] New member

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 8, 2002
      Ron,

      Welcome. I am not the moderator of this group but a fellow
      member. Looking forward to your questions and also learning from
      you as well.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Pvt., CS Signals,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 8, 2002
        Tom S;

        Were you by any chance at Gburg this weekend? If so, answer me
        privately please.

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Pvt., CS Signals,
        Longstreet's Corps

        Edward Lee

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 28, 2005
          Good day all,

          I'm new to your group, but not to the subject of Antietam or
          Sharpsburg or Cramptons Gap or South Mountain.

          I spent much of my youth growing up in both Locust Valley, Maryland
          and Jefferson, Maryland [more closer to Burkittsville than Jefferson]
          and going to elementary school in Middletown, Maryland and the first
          year of Junior High at Middletown High [we are the Knights, the mighty
          mighty Knights!]and on up to Hagerstown/Mt. Atena, Maryland to
          complete a couple more years of High school there before heading west.

          I remember most of the locals there, some whose families had been
          there since the days of Antietam and earlier.

          I'd walk just about every other weekend in both spring and summer and
          fall along the Appellation trail from Cramptons Gap to South Mountain.
          One could almost sense the musket fire as a kid while walking along
          the trail.

          Now, I live in Southern California and originally moved out here in
          1967 and then moved back to D.C. in 1970 and back to California again
          in 1974 and have been here ever since.
          But, some of the best days of my life were spent right there in
          Jefferson [according to the postal, not geographical address].

          I look forward to participating and understanding more right along
          with everyone here about one of America's most bloodiest days of history.

          At present, I'm list owner of
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bounty-of-Pitcairn/ where we discuss all
          aspects of the 'Mutiny On The Bounty' saga. I'm a descendant of the
          Bounty's surgeon, hence my yahoo id.

          Look forward to going through all the post and catching up.
          Thanks for allowing me to be part of your educational discussions.

          best,

          David Townsend
        • bdowney@aotw.org
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 28, 2005
            Hi David - it's good to have you here - welcome indeed! Look forward to hearing more form you
            as we go,

            Regards,
            Brian
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 3, 2005
              I recently acquired a badge for the dedication of what looks to me like
              the 20th New York monument just outside the visitor center. The badge
              says "Dedicated September 17, 1896". John Schildt's Monuments at
              Antietam says that the 20th NY monument was dedicated in 1910. In the
              book New York at Antietam it says 1911. I'm at a loss. Anyone know of
              any monuments at Antietam that were dedicated on Sept. 17, 1896? Thanks.

              Stephen Recker
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 3, 2005
                Now that I look at it, I think it may well be the 9th New York monument
                badge. That monument was dedicated on May 28, 1897, but I can imagine
                that they may have made the badge in anticipation of it being dedicated
                the previous fall. Anyway, if anyone has any other info I would love to
                hear it. Thanks.

                Stephen