Re: Real HWM

  • Ron Church
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2002
      Thank you Tom,

      Yes, I am the one who led us around on that snowy day. I think that might
      have been the one snow day we had all winter long! Murphy surely conspired
      against our trip that day, but at least the pub was warm.

      But now as you correctly put it, back to the real High Water Mark,
      Sharpsburg.

      I have seen several different maps which show somewhat different routes of
      approach for Mansfield's XII Corps. Some show him as moving west from the
      Line farm across Smoketown Road, then south (which would be along the west
      side of S'town Rd), through the gap between the East and North Woods, then
      south along the face of the East Woods Others show him as moving south from
      the Line Farm (along the west side of S'town Rd) then sweeping right (west)
      and coming through the East Woods. Given where he was wounded I tend to
      think the latter is probably correct but would appreciate any input the
      group might have.

      Ron Church
      Manchester, MD