New member

  • Ron Church
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 7, 2002
      Good evening all,

      I am new to this room and this is my first attempt at posting. I have been interested in September '62 Maryland campaign for a number of years some time now and look forward to exchanging ideas and information with the members of the group.

      Best Regards
      Ron Church
      Manchester, Md

    • rotbaron@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 8, 2002
        In a message dated 07/07/2002 10:34:22 PM EST, rchurch@... writes:
        << I am new to this room and this is my first attempt at posting. >>

        Ron, welcome to TalkAntietam. Are you also member of GDG? If so, I assume it
        was you who gave us the Pipe Creek tour several years ago.

        Feel free to initiate any discussions about the Maryland Campaign that
        interest you.

        Now that the anniversary of that "other battle" is over, we can focus on the
        real High Water Mark: Antietam.

        Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 8, 2002
          Ron,

          Welcome. I am not the moderator of this group but a fellow
          member. Looking forward to your questions and also learning from
          you as well.

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Pvt., CS Signals,
          Longstreet's Corps

          Edward Lee

          Sponsor ---------------------~-->
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 8, 2002
            Tom S;

            Were you by any chance at Gburg this weekend? If so, answer me
            privately please.

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Pvt., CS Signals,
            Longstreet's Corps

            Edward Lee

            Sponsor ---------------------~-->
            > Free $5 Love Reading
            > Risk Free!
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/Pp91HA/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/GmiolB/TM
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • thomasdledward
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 28, 2005
              Good day all,

              I'm new to your group, but not to the subject of Antietam or
              Sharpsburg or Cramptons Gap or South Mountain.

              I spent much of my youth growing up in both Locust Valley, Maryland
              and Jefferson, Maryland [more closer to Burkittsville than Jefferson]
              and going to elementary school in Middletown, Maryland and the first
              year of Junior High at Middletown High [we are the Knights, the mighty
              mighty Knights!]and on up to Hagerstown/Mt. Atena, Maryland to
              complete a couple more years of High school there before heading west.

              I remember most of the locals there, some whose families had been
              there since the days of Antietam and earlier.

              I'd walk just about every other weekend in both spring and summer and
              fall along the Appellation trail from Cramptons Gap to South Mountain.
              One could almost sense the musket fire as a kid while walking along
              the trail.

              Now, I live in Southern California and originally moved out here in
              1967 and then moved back to D.C. in 1970 and back to California again
              in 1974 and have been here ever since.
              But, some of the best days of my life were spent right there in
              Jefferson [according to the postal, not geographical address].

              I look forward to participating and understanding more right along
              with everyone here about one of America's most bloodiest days of history.

              At present, I'm list owner of
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bounty-of-Pitcairn/ where we discuss all
              aspects of the 'Mutiny On The Bounty' saga. I'm a descendant of the
              Bounty's surgeon, hence my yahoo id.

              Look forward to going through all the post and catching up.
              Thanks for allowing me to be part of your educational discussions.

              best,

              David Townsend
            • bdowney@aotw.org
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 28, 2005
                Hi David - it's good to have you here - welcome indeed! Look forward to hearing more form you
                as we go,

                Regards,
                Brian
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 3, 2005
                  I recently acquired a badge for the dedication of what looks to me like
                  the 20th New York monument just outside the visitor center. The badge
                  says "Dedicated September 17, 1896". John Schildt's Monuments at
                  Antietam says that the 20th NY monument was dedicated in 1910. In the
                  book New York at Antietam it says 1911. I'm at a loss. Anyone know of
                  any monuments at Antietam that were dedicated on Sept. 17, 1896? Thanks.

                  Stephen Recker
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 3, 2005
                    Now that I look at it, I think it may well be the 9th New York monument
                    badge. That monument was dedicated on May 28, 1897, but I can imagine
                    that they may have made the badge in anticipation of it being dedicated
                    the previous fall. Anyway, if anyone has any other info I would love to
                    hear it. Thanks.

                    Stephen