Boteler's Ford, 9-20-1862

  • Curt Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25 4:19 PM
      Last Saturday I had the opportunity to visit the battlefield of Boteler's Ford, near Shepherdstown, W. Va. There are battlefield markers at the ford itself (some evidently missing), on the W. Va. bank of the Potomac. To get to the ford, you drive east on German Street, out of town. The ford is about a mile and a half from town. The river bank at the ford is being developed (surprise!). Trough Road, I take it, bisects the battlefield and was probably used as a flank guide by the attacking and defending forces. You can drive up Trough Road and look to the left and right, and you'll be looking at the scene of A. P. Hill's attack on the V Corps troops that crossed on the 20th. The beginnings of development are evident. I wonder if anything is being done to preserve this battlefield.

      About a mile and three-quarters south of the ford, at the intersection of Trough Road and Engle-Molers Road is an old military marker with the number "4" on it and a Confederate battleflag. Does anyone know what this marker connotes? It is undoubtedly fully described in Col. Roger P. Chew's Military Operations in Jefferson County. Does anyone have access to a copy?

      Curt Johnson

      --------

      Over the piano was printed a notice: Please don't shoot the pianist. He is doing his best. -- Oscar Wilde, Personal Impressions of America, 1883