RE: [TalkAntietam] Middle/Hooker Bridge

  • Andy & Kim Mills
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12, 2002
      TR

      Thank you for the help.

      Andy

      -----Original Message-----

      Hello,

      What is sometimes called Hooker's Bridge, or the upper bridge,
      was originally known as the Hitt Bridge. It was funded in
      1829 and completed in 1832.

      What was sometimes called the Middle Bridge, or the Antietam
      Bridge, was also known as the Orndorff bridge, which of
      course has been replaced by a modern structure. It is said
      that this bridge's foundations were not well laid, and
      the piers noticeably sank before the flood that permanently
      damaged it. It is possible that this bridge was known as
      the Middle Bridge before the war. Why 'Middle' is anyone's
      guess, in the same way that that the bridge on the Cavetown
      Turnpike was called the 'New Bridge' well into the 20th
      century, when it was quite old.

      TR Livesey
      tlivesey@...
      http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam