Middle/Hooker Bridge

  • Andy Mills
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12, 2002
      Hello Guys

      After the battle, the Rohrback Bridge became known as The Burnside
      Bridge. My question is: What was Hooker's Bridge known as before
      the battle? Was it just simply the middle bridge?

      Thank you
      Andy
    • TR Livesey
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 12, 2002
        Hello,

        What is sometimes called Hooker's Bridge, or the upper bridge,
        was originally known as the Hitt Bridge. It was funded in
        1829 and completed in 1832.

        What was sometimes called the Middle Bridge, or the Antietam
        Bridge, was also known as the Orndorff bridge, which of
        course has been replaced by a modern structure. It is said
        that this bridge's foundations were not well laid, and
        the piers noticeably sank before the flood that permanently
        damaged it. It is possible that this bridge was known as
        the Middle Bridge before the war. Why 'Middle' is anyone's
        guess, in the same way that that the bridge on the Cavetown
        Turnpike was called the 'New Bridge' well into the 20th
        century, when it was quite old.

        TR Livesey
        tlivesey@...
        http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam

        Andy Mills wrote:

        > Hello Guys
        >
        > After the battle, the Rohrback Bridge became known as The Burnside
        > Bridge. My question is: What was Hooker's Bridge known as before
        > the battle? Was it just simply the middle bridge?
        >
        > Thank you
        > Andy

      • Andy & Kim Mills
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 12, 2002