Re: [TalkAntietam] Two Questions

  • Ray Ortensie
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2001

      Thanks for the info. How effective was the 3rd Indiana Cavalry? I have not
      seen that much on them and up till a few months ago did not know that my
      great state had a cavalry in the CW.

      Ray
    • Tom Clemens
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2001
        Very effective, they scouted the advance for Franklin, fought at Poolesville, and harried the Confederate cavalry. With parts of the 8th Ill they
        fought at Quebec Schoolhouse, and suffered loss, but gave as good as they got. A hard-riding competent bunch from what I can see.

        Ray Ortensie wrote:

        > Tom,
        >
        > Thanks for the info. How effective was the 3rd Indiana Cavalry? I have not
        > seen that much on them and up till a few months ago did not know that my
        > great state had a cavalry in the CW.
        >
        > Ray

      • John Priest
        Message 3 of 10 , May 4, 2001
          Ben Maryniak of the Buffalo civil War Round Table is the fellow to contact
          about chaplains in the Civil War. He has a tremendous set of files on
          Federal chaplains. His email is benedict@....

          Mike Priest

          Message 4 of 10 , May 4, 2001
            Ray

            My book Before Antietam: The Battle for South Maountain documanets every
            cavalty action from september 5, 1862 - September 15 1862. The National
            Tribune also has some great articles in it about the 3rd IN Cav.

            Mike Priest
            >Thanks for the info. How effective was the 3rd Indiana Cavalry? I have not
            >seen that much on them and up till a few months ago did not know that my
            >great state had a cavalry in the CW.
            >
            >Ray

          • Ray Ortensie
            Message 5 of 10 , May 4, 2001
              Thanks Mike for the help.

              Ray

              > Ben Maryniak of the Buffalo civil War Round Table is the fellow to contact
              > about chaplains in the Civil War. He has a tremendous set of files on
              > Federal chaplains. His email is benedict@....
              >

              > Mike Priest

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Ray Ortensie
              Message 6 of 10 , May 4, 2001
                Mike:

                Thanks for the help. What is the difference between the 1994 and 1996 book?
                Just a republish? Of course our library does not have it so I had to have
                it sent in thru inter-library loan.

                Ray
              • John Priest
                Message 7 of 10 , May 4, 2001
                  The 1996 is the Oxford University Press Paperback. The 1994 is the white
                  Mane hard cover.

                  Mike Priest
                  >Thanks for the help. What is the difference between the 1994 and 1996
                  book?
                  >Just a republish? Of course our library does not have it so I had to have
                  >it sent in thru inter-library loan.
                  >
                  >Ray

                • Ray Ortensie
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 4, 2001
                    Thanks for the info. Have the library looking for a copy for me.

                    Ray