RE: [TalkAntietam] New member

  • grabilljs@hqmc.usmc.mil
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3 3:27 AM
      Mr Hardy:

      Its off topic, but Congratulations! I have 4, and now I know why soldiers
      go off to war! :)

      Glad to have you aboard!

      Jason Grabill
    • rotbaron@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 4 11:23 AM
        In a message dated 05/04/2001 12:13:22 PM EST, mchardy@... writes:
        << Greetings Folks! Just signed up for what I hope is a long term of
        service. >>

        Welcome, Michael!

        It seems this group's membership is growing nicely.

        Tom Shay
      • Ron Church
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 7, 2002
          Good evening all,

          I am new to this room and this is my first attempt at posting. I have been interested in September '62 Maryland campaign for a number of years some time now and look forward to exchanging ideas and information with the members of the group.

          Best Regards
          Ron Church
          Manchester, Md

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 8, 2002
            In a message dated 07/07/2002 10:34:22 PM EST, rchurch@... writes:
            << I am new to this room and this is my first attempt at posting. >>

            Ron, welcome to TalkAntietam. Are you also member of GDG? If so, I assume it
            was you who gave us the Pipe Creek tour several years ago.

            Feel free to initiate any discussions about the Maryland Campaign that
            interest you.

            Now that the anniversary of that "other battle" is over, we can focus on the
            real High Water Mark: Antietam.

            Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 8, 2002
              Ron,

              Welcome. I am not the moderator of this group but a fellow
              member. Looking forward to your questions and also learning from
              you as well.

              Your humble servant,
              Gerry Mayers
              Pvt., CS Signals,
              Longstreet's Corps

              Edward Lee

              Sponsor ---------------------~-->
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 8, 2002
                Tom S;

                Were you by any chance at Gburg this weekend? If so, answer me
                privately please.

                Your humble servant,
                Gerry Mayers
                Pvt., CS Signals,
                Longstreet's Corps

                Edward Lee

                Sponsor ---------------------~-->
                > Free $5 Love Reading
                > Risk Free!
                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/Pp91HA/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/GmiolB/TM
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • thomasdledward
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 28, 2005
                  Good day all,

                  I'm new to your group, but not to the subject of Antietam or
                  Sharpsburg or Cramptons Gap or South Mountain.

                  I spent much of my youth growing up in both Locust Valley, Maryland
                  and Jefferson, Maryland [more closer to Burkittsville than Jefferson]
                  and going to elementary school in Middletown, Maryland and the first
                  year of Junior High at Middletown High [we are the Knights, the mighty
                  mighty Knights!]and on up to Hagerstown/Mt. Atena, Maryland to
                  complete a couple more years of High school there before heading west.

                  I remember most of the locals there, some whose families had been
                  there since the days of Antietam and earlier.

                  I'd walk just about every other weekend in both spring and summer and
                  fall along the Appellation trail from Cramptons Gap to South Mountain.
                  One could almost sense the musket fire as a kid while walking along
                  the trail.

                  Now, I live in Southern California and originally moved out here in
                  1967 and then moved back to D.C. in 1970 and back to California again
                  in 1974 and have been here ever since.
                  But, some of the best days of my life were spent right there in
                  Jefferson [according to the postal, not geographical address].

                  I look forward to participating and understanding more right along
                  with everyone here about one of America's most bloodiest days of history.

                  At present, I'm list owner of
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bounty-of-Pitcairn/ where we discuss all
                  aspects of the 'Mutiny On The Bounty' saga. I'm a descendant of the
                  Bounty's surgeon, hence my yahoo id.

                  Look forward to going through all the post and catching up.
                  Thanks for allowing me to be part of your educational discussions.

                  best,

                  David Townsend
                • bdowney@aotw.org
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 28, 2005
                    Hi David - it's good to have you here - welcome indeed! Look forward to hearing more form you
                    as we go,

                    Regards,
                    Brian
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 3, 2005
                      I recently acquired a badge for the dedication of what looks to me like
                      the 20th New York monument just outside the visitor center. The badge
                      says "Dedicated September 17, 1896". John Schildt's Monuments at
                      Antietam says that the 20th NY monument was dedicated in 1910. In the
                      book New York at Antietam it says 1911. I'm at a loss. Anyone know of
                      any monuments at Antietam that were dedicated on Sept. 17, 1896? Thanks.

                      Stephen Recker
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 3, 2005
                        Now that I look at it, I think it may well be the 9th New York monument
                        badge. That monument was dedicated on May 28, 1897, but I can imagine
                        that they may have made the badge in anticipation of it being dedicated
                        the previous fall. Anyway, if anyone has any other info I would love to
                        hear it. Thanks.

                        Stephen