Harpers Ferry OOB information wanted

  • scottmingus
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2002
      I need some assistance from this august body, please.

      Does anyone have a good order of battle for the Yankees at Harpers
      Ferry? I've seen OOBs that list 4 colonels, but not the exact
      breakdown of which units were in which brigade. I know from some
      period reading of original sources that D'Utassy had 3 regiments,
      Ward had 4 for example, but which ones were assigned to whom?

      Also, what was the regimental breakdown of the 12,000+ men captured?
      How many men were assigned to each regiment? I've seen sources that
      state that the Garibadli Guards (39th NY) had roughly 450 men, but I
      have yet to see similar numbers for all the rest of the regiments.

      Anyone have this information?

      Thanks!

      Scott Mingus

      http://www.geocities.com/scottmingus/index
    • Curt Johnson
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 2002
        Scott,

        I haven't investigated this at all, but I would start with the Harpers Ferry Commission in the OR and also look at the CCCW hearings. Sorry for the alphabet soup, but I'm sure Scott understands the references. Allan Tischler's work will probably provide a wealth of references, but I haven't seen it.

        Curt

        I need some assistance from this august body, please.

        Does anyone have a good order of battle for the Yankees at Harpers
        Ferry? I've seen OOBs that list 4 colonels, but not the exact
        breakdown of which units were in which brigade. I know from some
        period reading of original sources that D'Utassy had 3 regiments,
        Ward had 4 for example, but which ones were assigned to whom?

        Also, what was the regimental breakdown of the 12,000+ men captured?
        How many men were assigned to each regiment? I've seen sources that
        state that the Garibadli Guards (39th NY) had roughly 450 men, but I
        have yet to see similar numbers for all the rest of the regiments.

        Anyone have this information?

        Thanks!

        Scott Mingus

        http://www.geocities.com/scottmingus/index

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Teej Smith
        Message 3 of 3 , May 31, 2002
          Curt Johnson wrote:

          > Scott,
          >
          > I haven't investigated this at all, but I would start with the Harpers
          Ferry Commission in the OR and also look at the CCCW hearings. Sorry for
          the alphabet soup, but I'm sure Scott understands the references. Allan
          Tischler's work will probably provide a wealth of references, but I haven't
          seen it.

          Curt,

          Allan Tischler's book "The History of the Harper's Ferry Cavalry
          Expedition, September 14 & 15, 1862" deals mostly with the " cavalry
          breakout" and the hearings held later. What is truly interesting is the way
          he shows how the numbers changed with the passage of time.

          Regards,
          Teej