Re: [TalkAntietam] Two Questions

  • Tom Clemens
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2 8:35 PM
      Ray,
      Off hand these come to mind:
      1. 3rd Indiana Cavalry, very active in pursuit of Stuart's cav 9/5 to 9/13,
      including the skirmishes at Pooleville, Barnes ville and Quebec School House.
      2. 14th Indiana - French's Division attacked SUnken Road and has a monument in
      front of it.
      3. 27th Indiana in Twelfth Corps fought in cornfield and pasture below it.
      4. 19th Indiana, in Gibbon's Brigade, fought west of hagerstown Pike and very
      successful.
      Quick thoughts, hope it helps.

      Ray Ortensie wrote:

      > maybe someone out there can help me on these:
      >
      > 1. Were there any Indiana troops at Antietam and if so which? What roles
      > did they play?
      >
      > 2. Currently doing research on Confederate Religion and was wondering if
      > anyone knows about the Chaplain's involvement at Antietam. In the back of
      > J.C. Romero's book "Religion in the Rebel Ranks" he lists the various
      > chaplains attacked to the different troops. Are there any diaries of their
      > involvement there and what role did they play?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Ray

    • Ray Ortensie
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3 5:49 AM

        Thanks for the info. How effective was the 3rd Indiana Cavalry? I have not
        seen that much on them and up till a few months ago did not know that my
        great state had a cavalry in the CW.

        Ray
      • Tom Clemens
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3 2:33 PM
          Very effective, they scouted the advance for Franklin, fought at Poolesville, and harried the Confederate cavalry. With parts of the 8th Ill they
          fought at Quebec Schoolhouse, and suffered loss, but gave as good as they got. A hard-riding competent bunch from what I can see.

          Ray Ortensie wrote:

          > Tom,
          >
          > Thanks for the info. How effective was the 3rd Indiana Cavalry? I have not
          > seen that much on them and up till a few months ago did not know that my
          > great state had a cavalry in the CW.
          >
          > Ray

        • John Priest
          Message 4 of 10 , May 4 12:49 AM
            Ben Maryniak of the Buffalo civil War Round Table is the fellow to contact
            about chaplains in the Civil War. He has a tremendous set of files on
            Federal chaplains. His email is benedict@....

            Mike Priest

            >1. 3rd Indiana Cavalry, very active in pursuit of Stuart's cav 9/5 to 9/13,
            >including the skirmishes at Pooleville, Barnes ville and Quebec School
            House.
            >2. 14th Indiana - French's Division attacked SUnken Road and has a monument
            in
            >front of it.
            >3. 27th Indiana in Twelfth Corps fought in cornfield and pasture below it.
            >4. 19th Indiana, in Gibbon's Brigade, fought west of hagerstown Pike and
            very
            >successful.
            >Quick thoughts, hope it helps.
            >

            >Ray Ortensie wrote:
            >
            >> maybe someone out there can help me on these:
            >>
            >> 1. Were there any Indiana troops at Antietam and if so which? What
            roles
            >> did they play?
            >>
            >> 2. Currently doing research on Confederate Religion and was wondering if
            >> anyone knows about the Chaplain's involvement at Antietam. In the back
            of
            >> J.C. Romero's book "Religion in the Rebel Ranks" he lists the various
            >> chaplains attacked to the different troops. Are there any diaries of
            their
            >> involvement there and what role did they play?
            >>
            >> Thanks
            >>
            >> Ray

          • John Priest
            Message 5 of 10 , May 4 1:04 AM
              Ray

              My book Before Antietam: The Battle for South Maountain documanets every
              cavalty action from september 5, 1862 - September 15 1862. The National
              Tribune also has some great articles in it about the 3rd IN Cav.

              Mike Priest
              >Thanks for the info. How effective was the 3rd Indiana Cavalry? I have not
              >seen that much on them and up till a few months ago did not know that my
              >great state had a cavalry in the CW.
              >
              >Ray

            • Ray Ortensie
              Message 6 of 10 , May 4 5:44 AM
                Thanks Mike for the help.

                Ray

                > Ben Maryniak of the Buffalo civil War Round Table is the fellow to contact
                > about chaplains in the Civil War. He has a tremendous set of files on
                > Federal chaplains. His email is benedict@....
                >

                > Mike Priest

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Ray Ortensie
                Message 7 of 10 , May 4 6:41 AM
                  Mike:

                  Thanks for the help. What is the difference between the 1994 and 1996 book?
                  Just a republish? Of course our library does not have it so I had to have
                  it sent in thru inter-library loan.

                  Ray
                • John Priest
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 4 5:22 PM
                    The 1996 is the Oxford University Press Paperback. The 1994 is the white
                    Mane hard cover.

                    Mike Priest
                    >Thanks for the help. What is the difference between the 1994 and 1996
                    book?
                    >Just a republish? Of course our library does not have it so I had to have
                    >it sent in thru inter-library loan.
                    >
                    >Ray

                  • Ray Ortensie
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 4 6:10 PM
                      Thanks for the info. Have the library looking for a copy for me.

                      Ray