Sixty-third NY Vol Infantry questions

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 13, 2014
      Does anyone have information on the officers and non commissioned officers
      of Co. H of 63rd NY?

      I would appreciate the assistance greatly, as I am slowly starting to write
      the draft of my second novel, "Clear the Way!"

      Thank you for your help.

      Very respectfully,
      Your Obdt. Servant,
      G E "Gerry" Mayers

      "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one
      period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels
      them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The circumstances which
      govern their actions change; and their conduct must conform to the new order
      of things." -- Robert E. Lee
    • Tom Clemens
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 13, 2014
        No but it can be found on American Civil War Research Database. There was a Tom Clemens, private in Co. C, 69th NY who was killed at Sunken Road.   :-)

        Tom Clemens
        Keedysville, MD
        antietam@...

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 13, 2014

          Thanks for the information. Where can I find that database online? I am
          currently culling through a pdf document that I found a while ago via online
          search from the Adjutant General office of the State of New York dated 1908
          for the 63rd NY.

          Re the 69th NYVI Tom Clemens killed in action at the Sunken Road... any
          relation?

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 13, 2014
              Tom:

              I believe my pdf document came via online search of the NY Military Museum.
              But will check that potential source.

              What is surprising me so far as I cull through the 3rd NY information from
              the Adj General of NY State is how many deserted from the regiment in late
              August or early September 1862. Even found one who deserted July 4, 1863
              from Gettysburg.....makes me wonder how they got away with it?

              Gerry

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 13, 2014
                  Maybe for him... but how do you explain the ones that deserted late August
                  of 1862 while the regiment was being transferred to Alexandria Va area?