RE: "Forey's Brigade"

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 22, 2013

      I guess I should have re-read the Chase source before going on a wild goose chase. I did read Ferry's bio but I wasn't clear about his Suffolk experience with Mansfield. Guess Mansfield knew who was there. Interesting that the NY paper would use "Forney" the next year! Thanks! BTW, I should be ready to mail you my draft in a few weeks but I guess you are very busy with vol. 3 of Carman. I could leave it at the ANB bookstore if that is convenient.

      --- In talkantietam@yahoogroups.com, <antietam@...> wrote:

      I see Tom Shay beat me to it, not surprised.  Yes that is the guy, Orris Ferry, and Chase really screwed the pooch in spelling. Not surprised there either.

      Tom Clemens
      Keedysville, MD
      antietam@...

      On 09/22/13, eighth_conn_inf@... wrote:

      I'm trying to track down "Forey" in "Forey's Brigade" as it was referenced by Sec. Chase in his interview with Mansfield 8 Sept. 1862 "...leaving at Suffolk, Forey's Brigade of fourdiminished Regiments, say 1,800 men in all...."

      I've spent a couple of hours trying to track him down (and using likely variants of his name) to no avail. He was apparently at Suffolk in 1862 according to Chase/Mansfield and near Charleston, SC, in 1863 near Folly's Island according to a NY newspaper. I suppose Chase could have misspelled the name but then again by the newspaper? Strange. Anyone know about him? Thanks, Larry.

    • Tom Clemens