RE: Re: [TalkAntietam] Forey's Brigade

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 22, 2013

      Thank you again Tom!

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, <talkantietam@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      There is a footnote to that sentence that explains the spelling error. It should be Ferry.
      It is Footnote #97 , as follows:

              97. Orris Sanford Ferry (1823-75), Republican congressman from Connecticut, 1859-61, brigadier general of volunteers, 1862-85, and US senator, 1867-75.

      You can view that footnote online at:

      Tom Shay

      Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 12:33 PM
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] &quot;Forey&#39;s Brigade&quot;

      I'm trying to track down "Forey" in "Forey's Brigade" as it was referenced by Sec. Chase in his interview with Mansfield 8 Sept. 1862 "...leaving at Suffolk, Forey's Brigade of four diminished Regiments, say 1,800 men in all...."

      I've spent a couple of hours trying to track him down (and using likely variants of his name) to no avail. He was apparently at Suffolk in 1862 according to Chase/Mansfield and near Charleston, SC, in 1863 near Folly's Island according to a NY newspaper. I suppose Chase could have misspelled the name but then again by the newspaper? Strange. Anyone know about him? Thanks, Larry.

    • Tom Clemens
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 22, 2013
        I see Tom Shay beat me to it, not surprised.  Yes that is the guy, Orris Ferry, and Chase really screwed the pooch in spelling. Not surprised there either.

        Tom Clemens
        Keedysville, MD
        antietam@...